The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough for PPE at Oxford?

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Aaron Kazi
After receiving my GCSE grades today I have been considering applying to Oxford for PPE next year. After looking at data from past years the average number of A*s for a successful applicant at GCSE was around 9. I'm not trying to be arrogant or "show off" my grades but will they be sufficient assuming I meet all the entry requirements?

English Literature: 9
English Language: 9
Mathematics: 8
Further Maths: A
German: A*
French: A*
Geography: A*
History: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A*
RS: A

So according to the old system: 7 A* and 5 As

Thanks so much !

Congratulations - they're certainly very good grades! Whilst many Oxford applicants have straight A*s, I don't think these would hold you back from getting a place whatsoever as long as the rest of your application is also strong 😊 well done again!!
No ****.
After receiving my GCSE grades today I have been considering applying to Oxford for PPE next year. After looking at data from past years the average number of A*s for a successful applicant at GCSE was around 9. I'm not trying to be arrogant or "show off" my grades but will they be sufficient assuming I meet all the entry requirements?

English Literature: 9
English Language: 9
Mathematics: 8
Further Maths: A
German: A*
French: A*
Geography: A*
History: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A*
RS: A

So according to the old system: 7 A* and 5 As

Thanks so much !

Those grades are very good and are sufficient for Oxbridge. There are no requirements for GCSE grades so it is possible to get much worse grades than yours and get an offer. I got 7A*s and 4As and got an offer. Well done on your grades!!
Reply 4
Yes your gcses are good enough BUT they mean nothing if you get bad predicted grades or know nothing about the course or flop your tsa. It's a good way to get your foot in the door but universities will barely glimpse over your gcses so don't worry too much they're good enough.
Thanks so much that makes me feel a lot better! If you don't mind me asking what course are you studying?

I will be studying Engineering Sciences starting this academic year.

Oxford do look more at GCSEs than some other universities and more so than Cambridge but you by no means should worry about your GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending