The Student Room Group

Should I do Physics at A-level without maths?

So I had gotten my results GCSE results today, and I grades I'm proud of. I had to also enroll to my sixth form on the same day, my choices were Design Technology: Product Design, Geography, and was not sure on my 3rd subject, I ended up putting Philosophy because I got an A at it in GCSE and do enjoy the subject.

Now that I think about it I feel as if I should replace Philosophy with Physics because it doesn't sound compatible, lots of degree courses at University for Careers around Product Design always talk of Physics (another subject I enjoyed at GCSE). I am now thinking of replacing Philosophy with Physics, but I have been googling it and lots of other posts say it's the most sensible to take Maths at A-level as well which I passed (got a 6), but did not enjoy at all.

Would it be okay to do Physics without maths? I don't plan on pursuing Physics as a degree at University but would rather do something like Product Design or Product Engineering Design. (Students who do Product Engineering Design have done Physics at A-level).

I can only choose 3 A-levels and would not like to replace Geography with Maths at all because it is a wonderful subject I enjoy.

It all depends on how much maths is in Physics and if it is complicated or similar to GCSE.
(edited 6 years ago)
Physics is well known for being a tough A-level, with a lot of maths within it. What did you get in Maths in your GCSE?
Original post by NotKidding
Physics is well known for being a tough A-level, with a lot of maths within it. What did you get in Maths in your GCSE?

I just edited my post to put my grade, I got a 6 in maths which I believe is around a B in the old grade system.
Most maths in physics uses concepts from the GCSE course but is perhaps more difficult than the standard GCSE question.

There are additional concepts which are learned in A-Level maths, but these are included as part of the spec in phyiscs, so your teacher should go over them. For example, a knowledge of exponentials is needed for radioactive decay (involving e), and radians is used in circular motion.

Having said that, it is inadvisable to take physics without maths; while you may have learned the maths you need, your core skills in mathematics may not be up to the task of solving the problems you're faced with and you may fall behind in your class for that reason. It certainly can be done, it's just inadvisable. Consider that the vast majority of physics students take maths and struggle with the course regardless.
(edited 6 years ago)
No. You'll have a bad time. Not so much at AS, but definitely at A2.
Reply 5
Original post by Zucchini1
So I had gotten my results GCSE results today, and I grades I'm proud of. I had to also enroll to my sixth form on the same day, my choices were Design Technology: Product Design, Geography, and was not sure on my 3rd subject, I ended up putting Philosophy because I got an A at it in GCSE and do enjoy the subject.

Now that I think about it I feel as if I should replace Philosophy with Physics because it doesn't sound compatible, lots of degree courses at University for Careers around Product Design always talk of Physics (another subject I enjoyed at GCSE). I am now thinking of replacing Philosophy with Physics, but I have been googling it and lots of other posts say it's the most sensible to take Maths at A-level as well which I passed (got a 6), but did not enjoy at all.

Would it be okay to do Physics without maths? I don't plan on pursuing Physics as a degree at University but would rather do something like Product Design or Product Engineering Design. (Students who do Product Engineering Design have done Physics at A-level).

I can only choose 3 A-levels and would not like to replace Geography with Maths at all because it is a wonderful subject I enjoy.

It all depends on how much maths is in Physics and if it is complicated or similar to GCSE.

My friend did physics without maths, he did alright. I did it with maths. I advise you doing it with maths, but tbh it isn't rly that bad. I dont feel like u need maths to do it, but it does help
Original post by Zucchini1
I just edited my post to put my grade, I got a 6 in maths which I believe is around a B in the old grade system.

If you're looking to achieve top grades then physics may not be right for you. Not to discourage you, but there is quite a bit of maths and unless you work REALLY hard you may not do well.

Is there anything other than physics/philosophy that you can take? A language perhaps?
Reply 7
By all means you can take physics without maths. I have a friend who does physics without maths (also achieved a B in maths at GCSE) and has found the a level difficult due to the mathematical content (think he's predicted a D) and wishes he took something else. That being said his work ethic isn't brilliant so if you're prepared to work very hard at it then you should do well as people have done before, though physics is mathematical and the mechanics in maths overlaps and helps physics a lot.
Original post by NotKidding
If you're looking to achieve top grades then physics may not be right for you. Not to discourage you, but there is quite a bit of maths and unless you work REALLY hard you may not do well.

Is there anything other than physics/philosophy that you can take? A language perhaps?

I could take a language but I don't see many degree options with it, the only language I could take is Spanish, which I got a B in at GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest