Zebedi1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I am moving into year 10 soon and I want to know what distinguishes English literature and English Language. I am on the AQA board. What type of questions are asked in both papers and do they count as different GCSEs?

Also, what's the deal with people being assigned the wrong or unfair marks in these subjects?
pastelsloth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zebedi1)
So I am moving into year 10 soon and I want to know what distinguishes English literature and English Language. I am on the AQA board. What type of questions are asked in both papers and do they count as different GCSEs?

Also, what's the deal with people being assigned the wrong or unfair marks in these subjects?
Eng Lit: Novels Poetry and Plays e.g. one 19th century novel, Jekyll and Hyde is what I did, 15 Poems from this poem book that you'll learn and a random unseen poem along with a Shakespeare play like Macbeth-with this exam you gotta know context as well as the techniques in Language.

Eng Lang: Any text from some time period (don't remember too well) writing about writers intentions with like techniques etc.

People usually think they get unfair marks because it's English-it isn't like Maths where there's one right or wrong answer-it's kind of subjective to some extent at least...

Hope I helped, this was sorta rushed lol sorry

edit: yes they do count as seperate gcses and apparently u cant sit the exams if u fail ur speaking and listening (graded with P M D pass merit or distinction so watch out for that, i did it late in year 11 but i think ur teacher decides when )
Zebedi1
Rep:
?
(Original post by pastelsloth)
Eng Lit: Novels Poetry and Plays e.g. one 19th century novel, Jekyll and Hyde is what I did, 15 Poems from this poem book that you'll learn and a random unseen poem along with a Shakespeare play like Macbeth-with this exam you gotta know context as well as the techniques in Language.

Eng Lang: Any text from some time period (don't remember too well) writing about writers intentions with like techniques etc.

People usually think they get unfair marks because it's English-it isn't like Maths where there's one right or wrong answer-it's kind of subjective to some extent at least...

Hope I helped, this was sorta rushed lol sorry
Thanks a lot
User3939
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

English Language and English Literature are separate GCSEs. It is compulsory to get at least a 4 or 5 ( don't know) in English Language, or else you have to resit. In English Language, you need to show that you can read and write well in English basically. It tests this through tasks like comprehension, so if I gave you an article/ report do you understand what is going on? There is also a creative writing element, or at least there used to be. You might be asked to write an email, or an article for a specific purpose. Finally, there are also aspects quite similar to media studies and English Lit, although you'll be analysing non fiction. You might be expected to look at things like headlines, sub headings, and language choice in non fiction. Sometimes it might feel like journalism studies ( at least it was like that when I did it).

English Literature is the study of great works of fiction, like Lord of the Flies, The Woman in Black, Of Mice, Shakespeare etc. Here you will also be tested for your fluency and ability to comprehend english, but also your ability to analyse literature. Why is a book written the way it is? How is the book emotive? Why does a writer include a certain character, and how do they make you feel a certain way about that character? How can writers use creative language to say things about our world in interesting ways? You don't need to get a 4/5 ( again don't know which) in English Literature. However, it is well worth noting that English Literature is the most respected humanities subject, alongside History, at A Level, and opens doors to degrees and careers in government, civil service, law and the arts, and obviously to the best unis. So it is well worth getting a good grade.
LeonDH
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi there. I've just received my results today (got 7 for both Lit and Lang).

English literature is all about books, poetry and plays - focusing on how a writer uses literary devices for a particular effect or to send a particular message.

English language is all about how writers use language devices and structure to have an effect on the reader.

I wouldn't worry too much about the specific questions asked. For the most part they are about how a writer uses a certain technique or structure for effect - but your teacher should explain the demands and methods of each question more clearly.

As for people being assigned wrong marks, I wouldn't worry about that also. You'll be the third year to sit the exam (2019) so there should be much less uncertainty and confusion about these new exams by then.

Feel free to message me should you ever have any further concerns or questions.

All the best
Leon
Zebedi1
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeonDH)
Hi there. I've just received my results today (got 7 for both Lit and Lang).

English literature is all about books, poetry and plays - focusing on how a writer uses literary devices for a particular effect or to send a particular message.

English language is all about how writers use language devices and structure to have an effect on the reader.

I wouldn't worry too much about the specific questions asked. For the most part they are about how a writer uses a certain technique or structure for effect - but your teacher should explain the demands and methods of each question more clearly.

As for people being assigned wrong marks, I wouldn't worry about that also. You'll be the third year to sit the exam (2019) so there should be much less uncertainty and confusion about these new exams by then.

Feel free to message me should you ever have any further concerns or questions.

All the best
Leon
Thanks for your answer and congrats on your grade
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (14)
20%
Unhappy (20)
28.57%
Conflicted (36)
51.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed