The Student Room Group

16yo Boy with 13 A*s and a distinction in GCSEs 2017 // AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yeezyb
I collected my results today thinking I'd be receiving my predicted grades of mainly As and a few A*s. To my surprise however I managed to get all A*s in all my subjects and full UMS in two subjects. To say I was over the moon is an understatement but after all the revision and hard work I put into it, my teachers were pretty certain that I was going to do better than expected.

My grades are as follows:

WJEC Maths - A*
WJEC Mathematics Numeracy - A*
WJEC English Lang - A*
WJEC English Lit - A*
WJEC Religious Studies - A*
WJEC Welsh Bacc - A*
WJEC Geography - A* (FULL UMS WHATT)
WJEC ICT - A*
WJEC Welsh Second Language - A* (FULL UMS AS WELL?!)
OCR Latin - A* (I acc can't believe this one)
OCR Core Science - A*
OCR Additional Science - A*
OCR Further Additional Science - A*
WJEC Additional Maths - Distinction*

Well yeah, I'm in a state of shock. It's been a tough two years and a very rocky road but I am extremely glad of the outcome.

I'm going to be staying at my school's sixth form to study: Maths, Physics and Conputer Science along with the compulsory Welsh Bacc. My ambition is to try and study Computer Science at Stanford Uni in California, very hard but not impossible to accomplish.

I go to a state school in Cardiff so that's why I don't have any of the 9 8 grades!

My local news company did an article about me with the help of my school and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of positive comments I received from that!

Honestly, I did much better than I had expected and it is indeed the best feeling ever!

Well here I am, ready to answer any of your questions!

Ask me Anything!!

i dont kno ur life are you a real person
Reply 21
Original post by DAV321
How long did you spend revising?

Great question! I started revising lightly at the start of February, maybe half hour a day back then. Then every week I added an extra 10/15 minutes of revision time to each day until eventually (and somehow) in mid March I started doing around 3 hours a day if I could. If I couldn't on some days do 3 hours I wouldn't stress over it because that'd make things worse so I'd do as much as I can. Best thing to do is 2 subjects a day, 25 minutes solid revision then a 5 minute break. Try doing 2 25 minute revision sessions for one subject a day so you end up doing 2 subjects in 1 day in 3 hours, I hope you understood all this gibberish! In my opinion, this worked best for me, hopefully it could for you too!
are you a geek do you wear glasses? Do you have many friends or are you a social reject
Reply 23
Original post by etothepiiplusone
Would you believe me when I say I also am 16y.o., male, got 13 A*s, but 3 100% UMS's and 1 100% marks?

Id believe you and I'd have to congratulate you dearly aha! You should be chuffed with your results

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Why do people get so salty over some GCSEs?

No idea really but I'm trying to help people who are starting GCSEs if you know what I mean. They have every right though to have that view, you'll always get criticism no matter what you do! In order to succeed however it depends on how you deal with that criticism, do you take it to the heart or use it as motivation to pursue your dreams Further? !

Original post by Brendanjbs97
Ah mate that's superb! Well fricking done! Hahahaha I got 3B's and 5C's for my GCSE's (that rhymed, should've been a rapper...)

Thank you so much and Ahh that's absolutely amazing! So proud for you, bet you were over the moon am I right? ;D This feeling is the best ever and the best thing about these results is no matter what happens to you, you will always have these great results and no one can ever take them away from you! I'd listen to your mixtape if you ever released one, it'd be fire 🔥
Reply 24
Original post by Fusarium
You can't count Welsh bacc or maths numeracy as subjects no offence

Let's not talk about Welsh Bacc, hated it so much not even going to lie... I know haha what you mean you can't count them but hey ho they're still GCSE grades (even tho practically no where outside Wales will recognise them damn)

Original post by Yotsuba
Are there any revision habits that are good to get into at the beginning of year 10?
Also, how much revision did you do every day in the lead up to exams?
I know it's unique to the individual, but it could help give me a general idea.
+ Extra well done with your results, you deserve them for all the effort you put in!

Thank you!! As you pointed out it's all up to the individual but I can offer a few suggestions!

- Use your phone much less often! It's extremely hard but the best thing to do is whilst revising completely turn off your phone and out it out of sight, best advice anyone has ever given me.
- I would say at the start of Year 10 don't stress, just take it easy and relax, Get to grips with your subject and understand what you have to do in the course so you can plan your time out wisely, Find out how much of the grade is coursework and exams and see how you can prepare for those in advance.
- Use the Student Room daily! Honestly it helps a lot but don't use it as a distraction not to revise!
- Do your homework the day you get it and not the day before you need to hand it in because it makes you much for organised so when exams come around you will not be stressing as much as everyone else!
- Lastly an obvious point, make sure you keep to deadlines and finish controlled assemenfs in time so you won't stress about having to complete it during exam season and losing precious revision time!

I pointed out earlier how much time I spent revising but from Mid March I tried and started doing around 3 hours of solid revision for 2 subjects each day, TAKE REGULAR SHORT BREAKS, you'll definitely need them and it allows you to soak up much more information! KEEP HYDRATED AND EXERCISE, best advice yet. Exercising keeps you and your body in a physical and mentally good shape because exams can make you feel down so honestly, just even light exercise will help.

Revision methods can range from Mindmaps to post it notes on your walls to flash cards. It completely depends on you! Find the right one and bam! You'll be able to revise consistently!

Good luck and I wish you all the best in your GCSEs :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by karl pilkington
are you a geek do you wear glasses? Do you have many friends or are you a social reject

Haha no I wouldn't consider mself to be a 'geek'. I don't wear glasses nor do I have braces 😂 I'm generally an outgoing person so I have many many friends but I'm very lucky to have a very close group of best friends that I cherish and sometimes like to annoy!

I'm a very stereotypical teen I would say: Love football and rugby, Arsenal hooligan and proud; My favourite music genre is grime and trap, Kendrick Lamar being one of my favourite artists; and I love to party, funniest and sometimes best times of my life. However I differ as I have a fond interest in Politics, Computing, studying hard and Drama.

So, no, I don't like the word geek because it has negative connotations attached to it, but If I had to I wouldn't classify myself as one, hope this helps! :smile:
People will be jealous, but I don't like the fact that we're expected to downplay achievements so that we don't offend someone. We should be more like the Americans who celebrate success. All we do is tear people down. Well done.
Reply 27
Original post by YaliaV
People will be jealous, but I don't like the fact that we're expected to downplay achievements so that we don't offend someone. We should be more like the Americans who celebrate success. All we do is tear people down. Well done.

Well said! 👏Couldn't have put it any better myself
Original post by yeezyb
Let's not talk about Welsh Bacc, hated it so much not even going to lie... I know haha what you mean you can't count them but hey ho they're still GCSE grades (even tho practically no where outside Wales will recognise them damn)

Thank you!! As you pointed out it's all up to the individual but I can offer a few suggestions!

- Use your phone much less often! It's extremely hard but the best thing to do is whilst revising completely turn off your phone and out it out of sight, best advice anyone has ever given me.
- I would say at the start of Year 10 don't stress, just take it easy and relax, Get to grips with your subject and understand what you have to do in the course so you can plan your time out wisely, Find out how much of the grade is coursework and exams and see how you can prepare for those in advance.
- Use the Student Room daily! Honestly it helps a lot but don't use it as a distraction not to revise!
- Do your homework the day you get it and not the day before you need to hand it in because it makes you much for organised so when exams come around you will not be stressing as much as everyone else!
- Lastly an obvious point, make sure you keep to deadlines and finish controlled assemenfs in time so you won't stress about having to complete it during exam season and losing precious revision time!

I pointed out earlier how much time I spent revising but from Mid March I tried and started doing around 3 hours of solid revision for 2 subjects each day, TAKE REGULAR SHORT BREAKS, you'll definitely need them and it allows you to soak up much more information! KEEP HYDRATED AND EXERCISE, best advice yet. Exercising keeps you and your body in a physical and mentally good shape because exams can make you feel down so honestly, just even light exercise will help.

Revision methods can range from Mindmaps to post it notes on your walls to flash cards. It completely depends on you! Find the right one and bam! You'll be able to revise consistently!

Good luck and I wish you all the best in your GCSEs :biggrin:

who sent you E.T phone home

Original post by karl pilkington

Because wearing glasses = geek? classic karl pilkington logic :rolleyes:
Original post by yeezyb
I collected my results today thinking I'd be receiving my predicted grades of mainly As and a few A*s. To my surprise however I managed to get all A*s in all my subjects and full UMS in two subjects. To say I was over the moon is an understatement but after all the revision and hard work I put into it, my teachers were pretty certain that I was going to do better than expected.

WJEC Maths - A*
WJEC English Lang - A*
WJEC English Lit - A*
WJEC Welsh Bacc - A*
WJEC ICT - A*
OCR Core Science - A*

Well yeah, I'm in a state of shock. It's been a tough two years and a very rocky road but I am extremely glad of the outcome.

I'm going to be staying at my school's sixth form to study: Maths, Physics and Conputer Science along with the compulsory Welsh Bacc. My ambition is to try and study Computer Science at Stanford Uni in California, very hard but not impossible to accomplish.

I go to a state school in Cardiff so that's why I don't have any of the 9 8 grades!

My local news company did an article about me with the help of my school and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of positive comments I received from that!

Honestly, I did much better than I had expected and it is indeed the best feeling ever!

Ask me Anything!!

Really congrats, you are obviously hard working. What are you doing for A-Levels?
Original post by etothepiiplusone
Would you believe me when I say I also am 16y.o., male, got 13 A*s, but 3 100% UMS's and 1 100% marks?

Nice, well done! Join the 13A* club for actual GCSEs (not maths-numeracy).
Welp, you did better than me, kid.
Reply 32
Original post by yeezyb

WJEC Maths - A*
WJEC English Lang - A*
WJEC English Lit - A*
WJEC Welsh Bacc - A*
WJEC ICT - A*
OCR Core Science - A*

Ask me Anything!!

Wow! A massive congratulations to you. You can join the Year 12 thread which will be up and running on Monday. :smile:
Reply 33
I am going into Year 11, how did you revise etc. What tips do you have.
Also well done you did really well
and ignore all the people saying this is bragging or whatever they probably got like Ds or whatever. People can write what they want and you're not forced to read.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by JMR2017
Really congrats, you are obviously hard working. What are you doing for A-Levels?

Thank you very much! I shall be staying on at Sixth form to be doing: WJEC Maths, WJEC Computer Science, WJEC Physics and the compulsory Welsh bacc! It's going to be tough but worthwhile!

Original post by TheMightyBadger
Nice, well done! Join the 13A* club for actual GCSEs (not maths-numeracy).

Haha thanks!!

Original post by Roxirin
Welp, you did better than me, kid.

I'm sure you did really well to! GCSEs aren't a competition so don't judge yourselves next to others. If you think you performed well then you did really well no matter what your grades! I hope you go on to do great things :smile:

Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Wow! A massive congratulations to you. You can join the Year 12 thread which will be up and running on Monday. :smile:

Thank you so much! I shall be joining the New Year 12 thread, I am very interested. It's going to be a hard but exciting two years! #BeResultsProud
Original post by yeezyb
Thank you so much! I shall be joining the New Year 12 thread, I am very interested. It's going to be a hard but exciting two years! #BeResultsProud

Thanks for the kind words :smile: I suppose it's just sometimes discouraging to see people getting such fanstastic results, but I did good for me personally and that's what matters :smile: (got 8 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's for the record) And you're right, you shouldn't compare yourself to others, though I'm definitely guilty of that haha!! I need to learn not to. Thanks again though, I hope you have a great future too!! ^^
Those results are amazing man! Sad people feel the need to bring you down be proud, if you worked that hard from February onwards you deserve it!! Good luck in your A levels and i respect your high ambitions, i hope you get to go to California to study! That would be incredible. I wish you the best!! :smile:
Original post by yeezyb

WJEC Maths - A*
WJEC English Lang - A*
WJEC English Lit - A*
WJEC Welsh Bacc - A*
WJEC ICT - A*
OCR Core Science - A*

Ask me Anything!!

First of all, congrats (llongfarchiadau!) what an amazing achievement. I would like to warn you however, my best friend received 14 A*s at Gcse as well as an A in an AS a year early but ended up not doing so well at AS in y12 (3 low As and a C). Just a warning, stick to your guns and keep working as hard as you have, make sure you don't get cocky and stop working! Ps. Also consider staying in UK for uni if youre not very well off, like myself. Even if you get full scholarship you still have to pay ridiculous amounts for accommodation and upkeep. Best of luck!
Reply 38
Original post by Roxirin
Thanks for the kind words :smile: I suppose it's just sometimes discouraging to see people getting such fanstastic results, but I did good for me personally and that's what matters :smile: (got 8 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's for the record) And you're right, you shouldn't compare yourself to others, though I'm definitely guilty of that haha!! I need to learn not to. Thanks again though, I hope you have a great future too!! ^^

No problem and I do understand what you mean! I'm sometimes guilty of it too haha, but thank you very much!

Original post by Ismaeel Ali
Those results are amazing man! Sad people feel the need to bring you down be proud, if you worked that hard from February onwards you deserve it!! Good luck in your A levels and i respect your high ambitions, i hope you get to go to California to study! That would be incredible. I wish you the best!! :smile:

Ahh thank you!! Means a lot! :smile:

Original post by OrHollie
First of all, congrats (llongfarchiadau!) what an amazing achievement. I would like to warn you however, my best friend received 14 A*s at Gcse as well as an A in an AS a year early but ended up not doing so well at AS in y12 (3 low As and a C). Just a warning, stick to your guns and keep working as hard as you have, make sure you don't get cocky and stop working! Ps. Also consider staying in UK for uni if youre not very well off, like myself. Even if you get full scholarship you still have to pay ridiculous amounts for accommodation and upkeep. Best of luck!

Diolch yn fawr iawn! :wink: I understand AS and A Levels are a massive jump from GCSE so I'm scared about that so I'm going to try and start making revision materials right from the very beginning, would that help? I really don't want to become complacent because I've seen what failure looks like first handed when you become too cocky as a few of my friends did that in their GCSEs let alone AS! I just want to maintain a high work ethos and being focused.

I would also like to stay in the UK for university because of what you have said about the costs as it does leave you with a lot of debt so I am looking at British univerities, preferably in the Russel group. Of course, Stanford is a dream come true and my goal which is why I work so hard, and if I do get accepted into it hopefully with a full scholarship maybe, I will 100% go. If not Universities here are just as good!!
Original post by yeezyb
Diolch yn fawr iawn! :wink: I understand AS and A Levels are a massive jump from GCSE so I'm scared about that so I'm going to try and start making revision materials right from the very beginning, would that help? I really don't want to become complacent because I've seen what failure looks like first handed when you become too cocky as a few of my friends did that in their GCSEs let alone AS! I just want to maintain a high work ethos and being focused.

I would also like to stay in the UK for university because of what you have said about the costs as it does leave you with a lot of debt so I am looking at British univerities, preferably in the Russel group. Of course, Stanford is a dream come true and my goal which is why I work so hard, and if I do get accepted into it hopefully with a full scholarship maybe, I will 100% go. If not Universities here are just as good!!

That's exactly what you should do! I performed no where near as well as you at GCSE (4A*s 7As) because of my laziness but at AS ended up getting 4As with an avg of 96.5% and an A* in an A level a year early- the best in my school. This is not a bragging-y thing, because I know for a fact that I'm not /that/ smart compared to a lot of people I know, it was the fact that I printed out all my mark schemes (wjec puts everything up on their websites under 'specification'), examiners' reports and every resource under the sun as well as writing up notes after every lesson and doing past papers to hell and back (whilst also not learning irrelevant information that wasnton the spec, the downfall of a lot of my smarter friends was learning TOO much.) Long story short, if I can do it then anyone can- especially someone with your results!

Keep in mind that the repaying of debts for a U.K. student loan is very reasonable, your teachers will know more about this than I do. On top of that, being Welsh we get a means-tested maintenance bursary of something like £5000 a year as well as one to cover half of our tuition fees which we dont have to pay back. Plus, with someone with your eesults it would be a good idea to look into scholarships. I'm from a very poor family so choosing an affordable uni is a big part of my decision, so I feel u on this one. Cambridge and Oxford (which you should definitely be aiming for!) are very generous with their bursaries and both give £2000 to each student off the bat (it's a littke more complex than that but you'd definitely qualify). In oxford there's also the moritz-heymAn scholarship for underprivileged students in STEM which is something around £5000 a year. Long story short, Oxbridge make sure that no-one ever has to drop our because of funds. Bristol, my second choice, is also very good for scholarships. Russell groups tend to be more generous when it comes to money. Good luck!! :smile: (sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, I'm on my app)

Quick Reply

Latest