The Student Room Group

16yo Boy with 13 A*s and a distinction in GCSEs 2017 // AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yeezyb
I collected my results today thinking I'd be receiving my predicted grades of mainly As and a few A*s. To my surprise however I managed to get all A*s in all my subjects and full UMS in two subjects. To say I was over the moon is an understatement but after all the revision and hard work I put into it, my teachers were pretty certain that I was going to do better than expected.

My grades are as follows:

WJEC Maths - A*
WJEC Mathematics Numeracy - A*
WJEC English Lang - A*
WJEC English Lit - A*
WJEC Religious Studies - A*
WJEC Welsh Bacc - A*
WJEC Geography - A* (FULL UMS WHATT)
WJEC ICT - A*
WJEC Welsh Second Language - A* (FULL UMS AS WELL?!)
OCR Latin - A* (I acc can't believe this one)
OCR Core Science - A*
OCR Additional Science - A*
OCR Further Additional Science - A*
WJEC Additional Maths - Distinction*

Well yeah, I'm in a state of shock. It's been a tough two years and a very rocky road but I am extremely glad of the outcome.

I'm going to be staying at my school's sixth form to study: Maths, Physics and Conputer Science along with the compulsory Welsh Bacc. My ambition is to try and study Computer Science at Stanford Uni in California, very hard but not impossible to accomplish.

I go to a state school in Cardiff so that's why I don't have any of the 9 8 grades!

My local news company did an article about me with the help of my school and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of positive comments I received from that!

Honestly, I did much better than I had expected and it is indeed the best feeling ever!

Well here I am, ready to answer any of your questions!

Ask me Anything!!

Well done!!!
Reply 81
Original post by Brendanjbs97
Ah mate that's superb! Well fricking done!
Hahahaha I got 3B's and 5C's for my GCSE's (that rhymed, should've been a rapper...)

SAME
How did you revise Geography? That is one of my weakest subject that I never understand how to do well.

I have my Mocks in 2 days and I don’t know what to do for English Lit and Lang and Geography.

Any advice please? Also congratulations on your results! Damn I was shocked.
Reply 83
humble brag?
Reply 84
Original post by Hiro2468
How did you revise Geography? That is one of my weakest subject that I never understand how to do well.

I have my Mocks in 2 days and I don’t know what to do for English Lit and Lang and Geography.

Any advice please? Also congratulations on your results! Damn I was shocked.

Ah wow! Forgot about this thread. Thank you haha and this is how I revised Geography:

I made A3 revision posters for every one of the 7 topics in a Geography and put in as much detail as I could whilst also being neat and coherent, it should be clear to follow. Sticking these posters around my room helped me so much as when I was in my room I could just glance at the posters on my wall and take in the revision.
I also made notes on every single topic where I went through the specification and for every bullet point there, I made sure I wrote down a logical answer on Lined paper and then stuck them together to create a batch of notes following the spec. This really helps.
Revise different tactics that suit you best but make sure you try a different tactic for every subject so every subject has a unique way of learning that is best suited to you and will help you take in and understand the knowledge from that certain subject.
Finally, spend at least 3-4 hours a week of solid quality geography revision by making flaschards with Must-learn definitions and notes, mindmaps etc. After making all your notes, attempt every past paper you can possibly find and work efficiently with breaks to rest and ease your body and stress (basically don’t get too sucked into revision, don’t let it take over your whole life).

I really hope this helps, any more questions just ask! Good luck in your mock, I hope you do amazingly well. :smile:
Original post by yeezyb
I collected my results today thinking I'd be receiving my predicted grades of mainly As and a few A*s. To my surprise however I managed to get all A*s in all my subjects and full UMS in two subjects. To say I was over the moon is an understatement but after all the revision and hard work I put into it, my teachers were pretty certain that I was going to do better than expected.

My grades are as follows:

WJEC Maths - A*
WJEC Mathematics Numeracy - A*
WJEC English Lang - A*
WJEC English Lit - A*
WJEC Religious Studies - A*
WJEC Welsh Bacc - A*
WJEC Geography - A* (FULL UMS WHATT)
WJEC ICT - A*
WJEC Welsh Second Language - A* (FULL UMS AS WELL?!)
OCR Latin - A* (I acc can't believe this one)
OCR Core Science - A*
OCR Additional Science - A*
OCR Further Additional Science - A*
WJEC Additional Maths - Distinction*

Well yeah, I'm in a state of shock. It's been a tough two years and a very rocky road but I am extremely glad of the outcome.

I'm going to be staying at my school's sixth form to study: Maths, Physics and Conputer Science along with the compulsory Welsh Bacc. My ambition is to try and study Computer Science at Stanford Uni in California, very hard but not impossible to accomplish.

I go to a state school in Cardiff so that's why I don't have any of the 9 8 grades!

My local news company did an article about me with the help of my school and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of positive comments I received from that!

Honestly, I did much better than I had expected and it is indeed the best feeling ever!

Well here I am, ready to answer any of your questions!

Ask me Anything!!

how did you revise for english lit and lang
Original post by yeezyb
Ah wow! Forgot about this thread. Thank you haha and this is how I revised Geography:

I made A3 revision posters for every one of the 7 topics in a Geography and put in as much detail as I could whilst also being neat and coherent, it should be clear to follow. Sticking these posters around my room helped me so much as when I was in my room I could just glance at the posters on my wall and take in the revision.
I also made notes on every single topic where I went through the specification and for every bullet point there, I made sure I wrote down a logical answer on Lined paper and then stuck them together to create a batch of notes following the spec. This really helps.
Revise different tactics that suit you best but make sure you try a different tactic for every subject so every subject has a unique way of learning that is best suited to you and will help you take in and understand the knowledge from that certain subject.
Finally, spend at least 3-4 hours a week of solid quality geography revision by making flaschards with Must-learn definitions and notes, mindmaps etc. After making all your notes, attempt every past paper you can possibly find and work efficiently with breaks to rest and ease your body and stress (basically don’t get too sucked into revision, don’t let it take over your whole life).

I really hope this helps, any more questions just ask! Good luck in your mock, I hope you do amazingly well. :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice! I have my Geography mock in 3 days so I'll try do as much as you said. After my mocks I'll properly do what you advised!
Sorry for my questions but do you have tips on answering 8 mark questions in Geography or any type of question? From my previous tests I've noticed that I mainly lost marks on 8 mark questions (such as compare, access, examine, etc) and I don't have a clue on writing good quality PEE paragraphs, do I have to fully understand/know the topic inside out to find writing PEE easier?(Sorry if that sounded stupid!)
I have my Geography mock in 3 days and I know nothing about my topics, I'm really stressed out as Geography isn't the only subject I need to revise. What do you think I should do? Should I try do as much as you mentioned earlier?

Sorry yet again!
That’s amazing!!
What was your method of revision? And how long did you revise for each day?
How long before the exams did you start revising? What were your mock results?
Original post by Fusarium
You can't count Welsh bacc or maths numeracy as subjects no offence

That’s a bit snobby- they’re both compulsory.
Reply 90
Hey!
I'm in year 11 and doing AQA.

I'm currently working at 6's in all 3 sciences.

In my end of year 10 mocks I got 6,6,6 however for the Christmas/ January mocks I want 8,8,8.
Firstly, do you think this is possible? Is it too late to get 8,8,8 in around 5/6 weeks before the mocks begin?

I don't know where to start. I've done all my notes to a very, very detailed standard and they are excellent but they just aren't helping. I memorised most of them last time but I am still getting lots and lots and lots of answers wrong. I think GCSE science isn't much of a memory test anymore- it's more about applying all the knowledge to random questions.

Saying that, how should i do it? My problem must be with exam technique, there's nothing else evident i can pick out.

I'm guessing it's just do a past paper, see where I went wrong, focus on questions on that topic until I can do it and then move on? Is that all there is to it?

Someone else was saying use the mark scheme to do the questions for every single type of question on that topic possible so you cant get it wrong come the mocks, as you would have faced that type of question before and known what to include to hit the marks. What do you think?

I'm kinda weird with revision. I always think I'm going to do really well in the exam and that I understand everything before the test and then when I get my results back, oops.

Wha do you recommend? Sorry I've rambled on a little, haha.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest