The Student Room Group

Something was defiantly wrong with my paper...

Guys i got an unexpected 5 in english langauge (when predicted an 8) gcse today and i am strongly considering a remark. What do you advice? Have any of you done remarks before and what were your experiences? Not only this but this 5 does not match any of my other results and i got a 9 in lit so how? i think a fault occurred when my paper was marked, e.g writing wrong number or something

Thanks!
Reply 1
Definitely*

Just saying.....
Original post by Mark jam
Guys i got an unexpected 5 in english langauge (when predicted an 8) gcse today and i am strongly considering a remark. What do you advice? Have any of you done remarks before and what were your experiences? Not only this but this 5 does not match any of my other results and i got a 9 in lit so how? i think a fault occurred when my paper was marked, e.g writing wrong number or something

Thanks!

Speak to your teacher, get a photocopy of your script and then proceed with a remark if you wish.

Maybe you just didn't do as well as you thought in the exams? These things happen.
Reply 3
If you can't even spell 'definitely' on The Student Room, how can we expect you to sit an exam and get a grade 8? Nothing was wrong with the marking process. Deal with it and move on.
Reply 4
Original post by Joshiee
If you can't even spell 'definitely' on The Student Room, how can we expect you to sit an exam and get a grade 8? Nothing was wrong with the marking process. Deal with it and move on.

mate just shut up and leave you hater
Relax...autocorrect is a thing (and seems likely, since defiantly is an actual word, unlike most mutilations of 'definitely' that I see).

OP: If you're running as far away from English as possible with regard to your A-Level options - like I did - then a 5 doesn't hurt all that much, because it's still a pass. If you think the remark is worth the fee, then go for it. I might not be so inclined myself
Original post by Joshiee

No need to be a **** and simply dismiss it. Who cares about spelling on an online forum, oh wait, except you.
Reply 7
mate just shut up and leave you hater

You're asking for advice on a public forum - asking me to "shut up" is counter-intuitive.

Original post by TheChoconator
No need to be a **** and simply dismiss it. Who cares about spelling on an online forum, oh wait, except you.

And where is the proof or even the evidence that errors were made in awarding grades? There is none. OP needs to deal with the fact that they are not as good as they thought they were.
Reply 8
Original post by Joshiee
You're asking for advice on a public forum - asking me to "shut up" is counter-intuitive.

And where is the proof or even the evidence that errors were made in awarding grades? There is none. OP needs to deal with the fact that they are not as good as they thought they were.

you are just jealous of my 9 in lit and btw i got 9Astars so screw you.
if you're that bothered get a remark. i was quite disappointed with my english grades too, i got two 7's but was predicted 8's... however, since i'm going to be taking sciences and maths next year i'm trying to force myself to be okay with it. what alevels are you planning to do next year? did you speak to your sixth form today about a remark?
you are just jealous of my 9 in lit and btw i got 9Astars so screw you.

Jealous? I beat your grades last year. I am simply answering your questions - nothing was wrong with the marking process. Plus, once you get to college it won't even matter.
Reply 11
Original post by Joshiee
Jealous? I beat your grades last year. I am simply answering your questions - nothing was wrong with the marking process. Plus, once you get to college it won't even matter.

sure you beat my grades
Original post by klausss
Definitely*

Just saying.....

Oh who cares, not like she wants an English remark or something. 😌

But in all seriousness I would get the paper back IF you felt the exam went fine/not badly. Perhaps also check marking material to see if you find something that you perhaps did wrong before forking out the cash for a remark.

Do not miss the deadline for it though if you are still concerned by the time it comes. Also consider whether you need the certain grade, eg. If it gets you to Sixth Form and you want to go to unis then it is the A-Level grades that matter.
All the best
sure you beat my grades

I have a thread on my GCSE grades. Stop trolling.

Like the person said above, if you genuinely feel something was wrong then request for a review of marking. Chances are it won't change the grade though. Best of luck :smile:

Thanks!

I would "advice" you to 'revice' your spelling of the word 'definitely'.
Original post by Joshiee

Talking about counter-intuitiveness when you just corrected OPs spelling, which is meaningless to the actual forum. Don't try to say 'if OP can't spell definitely how can they get an 8', you're probably well aware of typos and *****y smartphone keyboards. Go spread negativity elsewhere.
Reply 16
I am trying to envisage an exam paper defiant in its wrongness. Difficult, I must say.

Quick Reply

Latest