The Student Room Group

Drop A levels for Apprenticeship??

Well this is my first post here and after reading through countless threads on this topics and numerous others I've decided to make my own.

My question is this should I drop my A levels to do an apprenticeship?

I currently study Computing, ICT and Maths.
The grades I got in AS are as follows:
ICT - B
Maths - D
Computing - Didn't do an AS test but this has got to be the hardest of them all and the subject which is ruining my nights and any alone time I have.
I will probably be able to pass all my a levels if I try extremely, extremely hard but the problem is I simply cannot motivate myself to do as I have no wish to go to a Uni at the end of all this.

TL;DR Failing A levels and I'm miserable. Also don't want to go to Uni. Should I do an apprenticeship
I can't tell you what to do (It should be your choice) but I can put down the options and give you some positives and negatives for each.

I would ask yourself the following questions:
1. You say you are miserable. What is it that is making you miserable?
2. Why would an apprenticeship make you happy?
3. If you drop out before you get an apprenticeship, are you confident you can get one (they're quite competitive)?

Some of the pros of staying on are:
You have some reasonable grades that might improve if you work hard.
You will earn more over a life time if you have A Levels over your counterparts with GCSEs.
Employers value A Levels
It is easier in later life to get into University with A Levels (you don't want to now but you may in the future). Although, there are other routes.
Can do an apprenticeship afterwards

Negatives of staying on
If you are miserable, you will not perform as well as you would do if you enjoy it
A Levels are not easy
There is no guarantee that your grades will increase
What will an employer think about you dropping out?

Positives of doing an Apprenticeship
Get paid while you learn a skill
Earn money now rather than after A level.
No longer be miserable? (Depends on why you are miserable)
Gain experience in the work place.

Negatives of an Apprenticeship
Although you are earning now, your friends will earn more in the future who have A Levels.
Depending on what apprenticeship you do, you might gain limited skills and find it hard to move into a different area in the future.
You might hate your boss/co-workers and be even more miserable (depending on why you are miserable).
Job security - how secure will the work be in.the future?

These are just a few thoughts but I would suggest thinking carefully before you make any decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Main reason I'm miserable is the work load from computing and also the fact I don't know what I want to do in life

Quick Reply

Latest