Motorbike Insurance for an 18 year old new rider

Watch
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi.
I was looking into getting a motorbike and I'm 18. However, I looked at insurance quotes and I'm looking at £900 and that's not even comprehensive, that's third party only.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Thanks.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

Lots of members are saying this place saved them a ton on their motorcycle insurance, so get a quote comparison here first:

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

Bigger discussion on cheap motorbike insurance for young riders here
Last edited by Professor Oak; 2 years ago
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's no such thing as a "normal" insurance quote. Too much relies on your own personal circumstances.

That said, insurance on anything with a motor on it is going to be fairly expensive for an 18-year-old, especially if you're still a student. You could try getting quotes for different bikes, perhaps even a moped, but ultimately there's only so much you can do to bring the cost down.

You might want to have a read of Tom's insurance guide too: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4825738
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
Hi.
I was looking into getting a motorbike and I'm 18. However, I looked at insurance quotes and I'm looking at £900 and that's not even comprehensive, that's third party only.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Thanks.
(Original post by Dez)
There's no such thing as a "normal" insurance quote. Too much relies on your own personal circumstances.

That said, insurance on anything with a motor on it is going to be fairly expensive for an 18-year-old, especially if you're still a student. You could try getting quotes for different bikes, perhaps even a moped, but ultimately there's only so much you can do to bring the cost down.

You might want to have a read of Tom's insurance guide too: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4825738
Completely agree with Dez on this one; so many factors influence an insurance quote that there simply isn't a "normal" quote as such.

I must admit, however, that my guide isn't suited towards motorcycles, more cars. A few of the tips may certainly help, such as trying out Comprehensive over Third Party as it can in most cases be cheaper. Do bear in mind, however, that the bulk of your premium in the first few years will be due to your age and inexperience - this isn't something that can be avoided unless you simply wait it out.

Good luck with your search!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads