The Student Room Group

How hard is chemistry a-level?

HOW HARD IS CHEMISTRY A-LEVEL? I'm not sure what a-levels I want to take and need to decide by next week. its either:
Math Economics Biology OR
Math Chemistry Biology. NEED HELP.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chemistry is heavy. I'll tell you that lol. It's easy if you're good at maths and have an elephant like memory though.
What do u wanna do at uni?I'd say it canquite hard and requires quite a bit of effort.
Reply 3
Original post by Texxers
Chemistry is heavy. I'll tell you that lol. It's easy if you're good at maths and have an elephant like memory though.

I'm okay with maths i got an 8 at gcse but memory thats an issue to be honest.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ScienceFantatic
What do u wanna do at uni?I'd say it canquite hard and requires quite a bit of effort.

Bioengineering or something to with science, but then i dont know if i want to go down the finace route either.
Like im split between Accountacy and Finace, Engineering or Medicine
I think bio chem and maths will be the best option then. Although for any engineering course I'm pretty sure u need physics. Also I don't tbink Many courses require economics a level including economics.
Original post by Gurj.S
HOW HARD IS CHEMISTRY A-LEVEL? I'm not sure what a-levels I want to take and need to decide by next week. its either:

In my opinion it is challenging but not actually that bad. The second year does have more maths in though but its not too bad- I got a B in GCSE maths and didn't do maths A Level but still got an A in chemistry A Level. I always say I'm bad at maths too but I managed it.:smile:
But my advice is- do all the past papers!!!! At the start of Year 12 I thought how its a big jump from GCSE. However, by the time I finished Year 12 I got used to it and I love chemistry!! Before the exams, I actually didn't do that much revision- I did all the past papers though but there was no revising for hours and hours on end - the other revision I did was reading over notes. But the past papers are essential because sometimes you need the exact wording as in the markscheme etc... Don't worry too much. It seems a lot at first but you get used to it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Just work hard in chemistry from the start and you'll be fine. I only got a low A in maths gcse and I'm fine with maths content
Reply 8
I think bio chem and maths will be the best option then. Although for any engineering course I'm pretty sure u need physics. Also I don't tbink Many courses require economics a level including economics.

Okay, to do finance or accounting you dont neeed econimics anyway right? so that path will still be open if i change my mind later down the line?
Reply 9
Original post by parrot16
In my opinion its not actually that bad. The second year does have more maths in though but its not too bad- I got a B in GCSE maths and didn't do maths A Level but still got an A in chemistry. I always say I'm bad at maths too but I managed it.:smile:
But my advice is- do all the past papers!!!! At the start of Year 12 I though how its a big jump from GCSE. However, by the time I finished Year 12 I got used to it and I love chemistry!! Before the exams, I actually didn't do that much revision- I did all the past papers though but there was no revising for hours and hours on end. But the past papers are essential because sometimes you need the exact wording as in the markscheme etc...

Thats some sound advice thankyou i will definately do this!
Reply 10
Just work hard in chemistry from the start and you'll be fine. I only got a low A in maths gcse and I'm fine with maths content

Do you do math a-level also?
Original post by Gurj.S
Thats some sound advice thankyou i will definately do this!

Also, mock results tend to be misleading. I got a few B's, C's and D's and only starting getting A's near to the real exams. The same happened in biology. For me it took a while for the stuff to sink in. So do all the past papers, mark them, grade them. If you run out then redo them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12

I'm planning on taking Chemistry this year. Is the maths content too rigorous if you're also taking Maths at A-Level?
Reply 13
I've just got my result for A-level Chemistry, at first some topics may seem hard but you just need to practice the calculations as much as possible. AS isnt too hard at all and is mainly just GCSE with a bit more detail. A2 is definitley a step up, but again is do-able with enough work. It depends on how much you need chemistry for the future, if you want an easier A-level perhaps do economics. (Eventhough I havent done it, it just has a reputation which isnt as hard as chemistry).

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Gurj.S
Do you do math a-level also?

No
Original post by Black Water
I'm planning on taking Chemistry this year. Is the maths content too rigorous if you're also taking Maths at A-Level?

I don't do maths a level so cant speak to this. What I will say is that my friends who got a* I gcse maths and did maths a level struggled with a level chemistry.
It's more the chemistry that's "hard" not so much the maths. Work hard with maths and chemistry aspects and you'll do well.
Reply 15
No

I don't do maths a level so cant speak to this. What I will say is that my friends who got a* I gcse maths and did maths a level struggled with a level chemistry.
It's more the chemistry that's "hard" not so much the maths. Work hard with maths and chemistry aspects and you'll do well.

Ok, thanks for your opinion. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by hw1221
I've just got my result for A-level Chemistry, at first some topics may seem hard but you just need to practice the calculations as much as possible. AS isnt too hard at all and is mainly just GCSE with a bit more detail. A2 is definitley a step up, but again is do-able with enough work. It depends on how much you need chemistry for the future, if you want an easier A-level perhaps do economics. (Eventhough I havent done it, it just has a reputation which isnt as hard as chemistry).

Hope this helps! :smile:

Oh okay thanks
Original post by Gurj.S

im in my first year of college right now...i chose maths, chemistry, economics and business...and jesus chemistry is hard...i got my test result today lol i got an E. idk what that guy texxers is on about, there is not much content in chemistry unlike biology so u dont need to have good memory, its just hard to understand. my school teachers are **** and i dont have a textbook yet but hopefully ill be fine when i get one, and also a tutor..MATHS is easy so far. its really fun and interesting DEFINITELY CHOOSE MATHS DONT CHOOSE ECONOMICS IT IS HARD AS ****KKKK...im gna drop. yeahh overall chemistry is quite difficult but i dont revise, i think when i actually buy a textbook and print pastpapers and **** ill be alright...on the other hand **** ECONMOMIC...have ti draw hunreds of bs graph, first month of college i was like "uno wat this **** is easy" and then it started to get difficult..there r 2 parts, micro and macro. macro is far harder
(edited 6 years ago)
Personally, I find Biology a lot more challenging than Chemistry. Chemistry is quite maths-based, especially at A2, but as with all subjects, it is perfectly manageable as long as you work consistently throughout the course. For me, the hardest part is remembering all of the small key details like the conditions for all the different mechanisms, but this is a relatively minor problem which can easily be solved by putting in that extra bit of effort every now and then to go over them :smile:
Original post by Gurj.S

Tres difficile. French aside. It is quite difficult from what i have heard and you need a lot of effort to get a good grade but if you are willing to put that in than you will do great.

Quick Reply

Latest