Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all

I'm currently learning how to drive, and I'm really bad at it. Does anyone know of any good internet sites where I can learn how the whole car/steering/clutch mechanism works? Also, I'm terrible at parking.. I'm not sure how the British parking test works, but for us we have to park in 4 different styles under 10 minutes. I was wondering if there were any sites which give us a step by step tutorial.

I'm resorting to desperate measures now! My driving instructor is going nuts... I'm all a tangle of hands and feet.

P.S. Is anyone else having trouble with learning to drive?

And big THANKS to any kind people who can help. xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Hey all

I'm currently learning how to drive, and I'm really bad at it. Does anyone know of any good internet sites where I can learn how the whole car/steering/clutch mechanism works? Also, I'm terrible at parking.. I'm not sure how the British parking test works, but for us we have to park in 4 different styles under 10 minutes. I was wondering if there were any sites which give us a step by step tutorial.

I'm resorting to desperate measures now! My driving instructor is going nuts... I'm all a tangle of hands and feet.

P.S. Is anyone else having trouble with learning to drive?

And big THANKS to any kind people who can help. xoxo
    There's actually an excellent few CDs out, ranging from our theory to the practical. THe practical one may sound silly but it has such great explanations etc. of why and how everything works and the orders you need to do things in for example. I never used it, I was lucky in that I was able to learn off road and pass after very few lessons, however, I looked at it a few months afterwards and saw the benefit it could give to some.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...696384968&rd=1

That's what it is (ebay is the easiest way to show you!). Then again, I am not sure that unless you can get one for your own driving test, it might not be very useful?

In the UK, the parking part of the test is really, really poor. This is extremely bad because I have friends who are fairly good drivers yet are awful at parking. We are only required to do a reverse park and that's it. Anything else we can be tested on (such as car-park parking) isn't usually do as most centres don't have the facilities. Hence you would probably be fine in the UK! I have a good knack of parking but then again my girlfriend doesn't and it's very difficult to teach her.

In terms of the clutch it is easy to explain, it's two plates, foot down on pedal, they disengage, foot off pedal, they are engaged. Now imagine one plate is attached to the engine and hence constantly spinning when the engine is on. The other is connected towards the gearbox side. When you put your foot down on the clutch, the plates disengage and the gearbox is now no longer driven by the engine, hence you can change gear without taking on the force on the engine. WHen you release the clutch pedal, the two plates come back together. The gearbox side plate isn't spinning/much but the engine one is of course spinning, hence when you allow the two plates to meet, you need to be careful that you get the timing right that they are allowed time to match speeds before coming properly together. If you don't, you either stall (not enough engine speed compared with load from other clutch plate), wheel spin (too much engine speed for load) or worse, damage the clutch through slipping.

The above is good enough to understand the principle, although not entirely correct, it's the best thing to understand.

ReputationRep:
    THANK YOU!!

I think I'm getting it now. I think that the driving test is different in Brunei then. The parking element is very difficult, because it is designed in a circuit fashion i.e. you proceed from lots A to D, which are 4 different sorts of parking spaces - forward, corner, reverse and parallel.

I've done 8 hours of lessons so far, and we're only required to do 10. I don't think I can sit for my test with just 10 lessons. Eeeps..

Thanks once again.

ReputationRep:
    www.2pass.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    THANK YOU!!

I think I'm getting it now. I think that the driving test is different in Brunei then. The parking element is very difficult, because it is designed in a circuit fashion i.e. you proceed from lots A to D, which are 4 different sorts of parking spaces - forward, corner, reverse and parallel.

I've done 8 hours of lessons so far, and we're only required to do 10. I don't think I can sit for my test with just 10 lessons. Eeeps..

Thanks once again.
    In the UK, BSM (the major driving agency) state double your age, i.e. 17 = 34 lessons. I would say this is an over-estimate, most people passed with between 20-30. I was very lucky as I said so I only took 8 lessons and it was very cheap!

We do all our test on the roads, do you? I see in the US in some states you don't, also I believe in Australia it's track based I think.

excellent gide to drive. itz a short movie (every1 shud watch it)

http://www.allthingsflash.com/Learn_to_Drive.swf

ReputationRep:
    http://www.funhills.com/g/232.html

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm a learner as well, with a test date! Also, doing my own website and in tehre you can find detailed info about the clutch also the SMTM part of the test.

Any other learner or driver who wants to help in the Forum would be great.

Regards
    Kirsty
    www.good2drive.com

ReputationRep:
    I have been driving since I was 16....

Driving is not all that hard, its all about defensive driving - be aware that other road users are complete idiots.....then you feel secure....thats when you do your best driving....

Always be aware of the fact that another car could do something you dont see and always think ahead to avoid their mistake.....

To become good at clutch control.....go find a nice big hill and just practice your hill starts - you then become good at clutch control

Parking - go to the fcar infront of the space you want to park in.....get your rear bumper in line with the car on your left

Put 1 full lock to the left and move backwards

When your car gets to the door handle - take the 1 full lock off.....go back to straight

Continue with the wheels straight till the rear bumper of the car in front gets to your windscreen pillar.....then add full right lock.....

You should now be in a good position inside the space....now just put the car a desired distance between the cars in front and behind you.....

By the way.....this is my way of doing it.....I do not accept any blame should anything go wrong.....make sure you check all your mirrors....and double check blind spots.....

Hope this helps!?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like some coordiantion wouldn't go a miss.

ReputationRep:
    1st time

ReputationRep:
    The only real way to master the clutch is to practise, reading a book in it is not the same as actually doing it.

av failed 3 times... nxt test on the 14th.
    NOTE 2 EVERY1 IN SHIELDS: do not use the roads on the 14th between 1.30 and 2.30
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hossy)
    To become good at clutch control.....go find a nice big hill and just practice your hill starts - you then become good at clutch control
    Doesn't even have to be a big hill! Before I had any proper lessons, my dad took me on a quiet country road and made me drive along it stopping in all of the passing places and starting off again. I did that for about an hour every night for a few weeks. It was so boring that I now have wonderful clutch control so that I don't have to do it again!

Obviously, it helps if you live near the countryside or some quiet roads.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that objects in the mirror are actually behind you.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.