Which university degree you think it is the most worthless subject... Watch

Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hannxm)
There is a 19% increase in demand for Psychologists up until 2024, which is higher than average. Psychology affects every aspect of life and can be used in jobs such as a child work, advertising and marketing, forensics and police work and even in business. The number of jobs that open up to someone who has a Psychology degree is extensive and they are needed in many industries. They can work alongside doctors and can help prevent mental illness. They have also discovered so much over the years that have been beneficial to doctors and other professionals.
Personally, I think they have a big impact on our world. They improve people's lives and in turn, may improve an entire economy.

I do find art pointless. I know someone who has an art degree, she's in debt of £27,000 and has no intention of using it. It's not necessarily easy; it involves a lot of history and writing essays about what an art piece shows/means. But in terms of what job roles they offer, it's very limited and I think a degree should be done to open up job opportunities! There are some others I see people post about and I'm like "how will that benefit you?" It's good to have an interest in your subject but it's even better to do a subject which offers you many job opportunities.
Unless you actually want to do work in the arts industry - then an arts degree is fine.
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Remedy8754)
No offence to anyone but if your not white and your studying any of those degrees your probably not going to end up going into that field of study.
What are you on about? How have you managed to bring 'race' into this discussion? That's a real talent...

Firstly, your assumption about the music indusry is incorrect. The UK Music Diversity Taskforce survey (2016) found that "BAME (Black, Asian, minority ethnic) representation in the workforce is 15.6%, which is higher than the figure for the UK population as a whole (12.8%). The study finds that two thirds of music industry workers are based in London where BAME people make up around 30.3% of the workforce."
http://www.ukmusic.org/equality-dive...y-survey-2016/

Perhaps you could make a claim that BME individuals are lacking in the arts field (i.e. drama, art, etc), however this may just be a choice. Despite this, BME individuals are still represented well in the arts relatively. There is nothing stopping BME individuals from seeking jobs in Art and Drama - have you been to a theatre, or a cinema, or seen a movie recently?

I have no clue why you are bringing race into this needlessly.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
Unless you actually want to do work in the arts industry - then an arts degree is fine.
Of course, but I don't see many art based jobs around. I see artists online who have made good money without a degree as well so I feel it's pointless. Kind of like with History, you can only be a historian or a history teacher. You can't be a doctor without a qualification, but you can be an artist without one, which is how I view it.
chungyanho
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which university did you go to ?
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chungyanho)
Which university did you go to ?
University of Glasgow, if you must know - what does it matter to you?
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hannxm)
Of course, but I don't see many art based jobs around. I see artists online who have made good money without a degree as well so I feel it's pointless. Kind of like with History, you can only be a historian or a history teacher. You can't be a doctor without a qualification, but you can be an artist without one, which is how I view it.
Do you actively seek jobs in the arts industry? I never see jobs for doctors around because I'm not looking for them - that doesn't mean they're not there.

An art degree =/= becoming an artist.

Art/History of Art degrees are now a requirement for museum/gallery curators and exhibition officers.

A degree related to art is a qualification needed to become an art conservator (maintaining and preserving art/cultural artifacts).

An arts degree is useful when applying for Arts administration roles, who put together art festivals that are being hosted by art galleries, museums, local councils, etc.

There's more jobs in the arts industry then you think.

And as you say, you can always go into teaching/lecturing which is no small feat.
chungyanho
Rep:
?
University of Glasgow, if you must know - what does it matter to you?
I was just curious lol. I studied BEeng mech eng in swansea uni.
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
David Beckham studies

Memeolgy
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I was in university, when people told me they do art, I always have to be .............
I don't know about others but I think some university subjects are so easy and I normally just call them baby subjects xD.
A degree is as useful as you make it. As long as you personally are putting in the time and energy to make the most of your degree - things will work out.

I have a few good mates at various art/drama/music institutes around the world - all of them are absolutely amazing at what they do. Hell, one kid is going to be on Broadway soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was just curious lol. I studied BEeng mech eng in swansea uni.
hows swansea uni?
username2130115
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
gender studies
sociology
lgbt studies
Atreus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm gonna play the devils advocate and say it's **** like a degree in accounting or finance. Sure you're probably on a decent salary and you make a lot of money but when you think about it what are you actually doing that another person or robot can't do ? When your kid asks to see what you do for work what you gonna do ? Show them a sheet of numbers ? How very inspiring. In comparison a teacher inspires generations, artists influence the very times we live in, writers (yes even the **** ones surviving off pennies) comment on social politics and institutions and the fabric of the world we live in and in turn they captivate the minds of BILLIONS (think of all the people in the world who are obsessed with LOTR, GOT, HP etc). These are the people who are leaving their footprint on the world.
Alaskanbullworm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Atreus)
I'm gonna play the devils advocate and say it's **** like a degree in accounting or finance. Sure you're probably on a decent salary and you make a lot of money but when you think about it what are you actually doing that another person or robot can't do ? When your kid asks to see what you do for work what you gonna do ? Show them a sheet of numbers ? How very inspiring. In comparison a teacher inspires generations, artists influence the very times we live in, writers (yes even the **** ones surviving off pennies) comment on social politics and institutions and the fabric of the world we live in and in turn they captivate the minds of BILLIONS (think of all the people in the world who are obsessed with LOTR, GOT, HP etc). These are the people who are leaving their footprint on the world.
In careers such as actuarial analysis extreme proficiency in maths is required. It's quite rare that you find people with the mathematical mind and skill required as well as the intelligence and quick thinking.

As for the most worthless degree subject, I agree that no degree is worthless if it helps you to get a job in your field. However, if you apply for a non-specific-degree job, then I would say Gender Studies. It's just not respected in both the corporate and academic sectors.
chungyanho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Proxenus)
hows swansea uni?
well they have two campus, one campus is full of girls but I am in the other one which is an engineering campus.... so we rarely see any hot chicks... lol. Boring but good campus for study
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
well they have two campus, one campus is full of girls but I am in the other one which is an engineering campus.... so we rarely see any hot chicks... lol. Boring but good campus for study
lol he goes there (i was there last year but moving unis).

bay is so dead ngl

Posted from TSR Mobile
chungyanho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
lol he goes there (i was there last year but moving unis).

bay is so dead ngl

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol what did you study...
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol what did you study...
comp sci
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing an art degree isn't just painting all day - degrees in any 'creative' subject still involve a massive amount of academic study and research.
Perfuddled
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. creative writing
2. English literature
3. psychology...
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Filmmaking. Only because I've a degree in it that I'm not really putting to good use.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads