Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Ok, I was just wondering if any one else has had a similar problem to the one I am about to explain. For some time now I have been interested in joining the RAF and before that, the University London Air Squadron (I am going to study at Kings this year). However, I have been turned down because I live abroad. I am a British Citizen with one passport and British parents, yet I am told I am not eligible. I am sure there are security concerns here but for what reasons I can not say. Even to join the UAS which is a semi civilian organisation (they do not use military aircraft anymore) the same criteria must be met as if joining the RAF. So please, if any one has had similar troubles or indeed has been in the same situation but had not trouble getting in to a University Air Squadron, please tell me about it!! Thanks very much!!

p.s

I have been in contact with the UAS, the RAF, and the British Embassy here (I live in Thailand) and none have them have done anything beyond being very polite, to help me so please someone help me!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Check out the RAF's website for the latest residency requirements. It's been a while, so I remember about 5 rules but not which parts of each you need to apply to yourself.

The UAS isn't semi-civilian. The aircraft are civilian owned under a private finance initiative. All instruction and infrastructure are fully military.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the response mate...I know it aint really semi-civi but was just suggesting that perhaps I was surprised it had to follow exact rules as the RAF does when there are clear differences....

I’ve been to the website mate, this is not just a random question, I have been looking in to it for like a year or so and have talked to people like the DA at my embassy. Believe me, I fully understand the entry requirements, I guess I am just asking if any one can explain them to me in a way that makes sense. In the end I am British, with no exceptions at all (no dual passport or foreign parents or family) and yet I am unable to join the squadron, to me, this seems strange, and I would just like an explanation, cause the UAS or RAF don’t seem to be able to give me one.

Thanks again for response mate and don’t mean to blast you or anything like that but just trying to say I am beyond checking the website, this is serious for me and not just a passing interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Henton)
    Hey,

Ok, I was just wondering if any one else has had a similar problem to the one I am about to explain. For some time now I have been interested in joining the RAF and before that, the University London Air Squadron (I am going to study at Kings this year). However, I have been turned down because I live abroad. I am a British Citizen with one passport and British parents, yet I am told I am not eligible. I am sure there are security concerns here but for what reasons I can not say. Even to join the UAS which is a semi civilian organisation (they do not use military aircraft anymore) the same criteria must be met as if joining the RAF. So please, if any one has had similar troubles or indeed has been in the same situation but had not trouble getting in to a University Air Squadron, please tell me about it!! Thanks very much!!

p.s

I have been in contact with the UAS, the RAF, and the British Embassy here (I live in Thailand) and none have them have done anything beyond being very polite, to help me so please someone help me!!

George

To join UAS you must be a full-time registered undergraduate, who is over 17 and a half on joining and under 23 and a half on graduation. You must also have been born in the UK , or in a country which was, at the time, a member fo the commonwealth, or the Republic of Ireland. In addition, you must have been a citizen of one of these countries since birth.

Obviously, Thailand was never a member of commonwealth, so you wouldn't fit that criteria. However, you say you are a British Citizen, with a British Passport, so you meet that condition.

I think (and this is only my opinion on what you have posted) that the problem is you have not lived in the UK or a commonwealth country since birth. You may want to check this out
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The residency requirements for the UAS have to mimic the RAF despite it being "semi-civilian" as it's designed to recruit for the RAF. Why train someone at great cost for 3 years when they don't meet the requirements for the wider RAF?

We used to do it years ago, when it cost us a lot less to train, as it meant we had future "heads of industry" etc. who were sympathetic to the RAF.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanx again guys and I am starting to accept that perhaps the UAS is just one thing i will not be able to do. Howevere, the RAF have said that after living in the UK for three years (during my years at Kings) i will be eligble and can join the RAF, so I dont think it would be a waste training me to fly when I will be able to join the full RAF straight after graduating.

I do pass all those other criteria yet as u say, it is about living overseas. I was born in Hong Kong which at the time was a British Colony or British something so I am OK there, just the fact that not lived in England three year to applicaiton. I had a friend who has just graduated from Kings and he had lived here for ages also yet had no problems getting in to UAS and now RAF. I guess post 9/11 and Defense refroms and whatnot rules change so oh well, i guess i will just wait it out for three years (do as much civilian flying as i can, i already have about 10 hours in a c-150) and then attempt the RAF again.

Thanx again guys and appreciate the responses, this is a great forum and it good to know you can come somewhere where people will actaully listen and try to help, thanks!!

George.

ReputationRep:
    When you start University, you could get involved as a volunteer at your nearest ATC (it would not be worth joining as a cadet yourself because you would be almost too old).

Although this is in no way could be compared to UAS, it would help demonstrate your commitment to the RAF, by doing the next best available thing.

Hope this helps, and the very best of luck in your future application.

ReputationRep:
    I've read over this entire post and realise most of the time it is me saying thanks for the responses but I am gonna do it again!!

Thanks mate for that suggestion, that really sounds like a plan...that really is what I want to do next to UAS...in that something that will tell the RAF I have been intrested and show them that I am commited and even after UAS rejeciton I still went on to do somehting....thanks again mate, i go and look in to that now, great suggestion!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry- I forgot to post the website address. It's www.aircadets.co.uk

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.