The Student Room Group

Is Psychology okay to do for Medicine?

Hi! So I want to do a medicine degree in the future, I have chosen Biology, Chemistry and Psychology as my A-Level choices. I don't particularly want to choose Physics because I got a B in it at GCSE, plus I don't enjoy it. Also, I would do Maths (I have a 7 in it too) but you have to pick one subject from each block at our school which limits me to not being able to do Maths since it isn't an option left for me. I chose Psychology because it seems fascinating plus it might show the people looking at my application for University that I do find other aspects and subjects interesting as well as science (since I chose Biology and Chemistry).

Alongside my grades, I am doing volunteering at my hospital and in the New Year I also have the opportunity to do some shadowing in the outpatients section. So, my overall question is if Psychology won't hinder my chances of applying to Medicine.

-Thank you (I have posted this in the A-Levels forum as well in case this wasn't the correct place)
Yeah you'll be fine. Just make sure to read what university admissions want.
Thank youuu
Original post by gradmed305

Original post by gradmed305
That's fine. Usually, universities ask for biology and chemistry. If you're looking at certain universities now, check their entry requirements to make sure that they don't exclude any subjects. But most likely, you'll be fine anyway. Just aim for the highest grades :smile:
Thank you so much, I am actually stressing so much right now because I don't know whether I should ask my head of year to somehow get me into Maths or stick with Psychology:colondollar:
Original post by Multifaceted
That's fine. Usually, universities ask for biology and chemistry. If you're looking at certain universities now, check their entry requirements to make sure that they don't exclude any subjects. But most likely, you'll be fine anyway. Just aim for the highest grades :smile:
Original post by studyallthetime
Thank you so much, I am actually stressing so much right now because I don't know whether I should ask my head of year to somehow get me into Maths or stick with Psychology:colondollar:

Don't stress! Do your research and if you think that universities are putting stress on maths in their entry requirements, then you can decide what you'd like to do. From my understanding, they don't. Choose what you enjoy (and will do best in).
Well I have just emailed my head of year and asked if my GCSE Maths Grade (7) is good enough for Maths A-Level and if it is then I may consider taking it
Original post by Multifaceted
Don't stress! Do your research and if you think that universities are putting stress on maths in their entry requirements, then you can decide what you'd like to do. From my understanding, they don't. Choose what you enjoy (and will do best in).
no.
Oh thank you
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
no.
The two subjects that are definitely required for medicine are biology and chemistry. So the third A Level can be any other subject that you would like to do. So if you want to do psychology then go for it! I'd like to echo what @Multifaceted said regarding the uni entry requirements as some may prefer that you do certain subjects while others may not.
I have somehow got the option to do maths since I had asked so I am considering to do it
Original post by Workangel_24
The two subjects that are definitely required for medicine are biology and chemistry. So the third A Level can be any other subject that you would like to do. So if you want to do psychology then go for it! I'd like to echo what @Multifaceted said regarding the uni entry requirements as some may prefer that you do certain subjects while others may not.
Original post by studyallthetime
I have somehow got the option to do maths since I had asked so I am considering to do it

Pick whichever one you would like to study for 2 years and the one you think you have the best chance of getting the all important A in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending