The Student Room Group

Economics vs Project management MSc?

In terms of employability and overall quality of applicants and jobs, what is better, an MSc in Economics or an MSc in Project Management at places like Warwick or UCL?

For Warwick I looked up the career outcomes to see that Economics has JP Morgan Chase, Credit Suisse(2016), Frontier Economics, Oxford Economics(all economic consultancies), Moody's(which is a credit rating company) and such

whereas MSc Project management has IBM and ExxonMobil as the most prestigious employers, so on the face of it it looks like Economics is the more favored degree in terms of post degree salary. The admissions standards are higher for the MSc economics as well.

Is this the case for most schools where the Project management is a substitute for a good MBA or an MSc in Management degree? Frankly I've never heard of people talking about MSc in project management in forums like wallstreetoasis...
Original post by longshanksbow
In terms of employability and overall quality of applicants and jobs, what is better, an MSc in Economics or an MSc in Project Management at places like Warwick or UCL?

For Warwick I looked up the career outcomes to see that Economics has JP Morgan Chase, Credit Suisse(2016), Frontier Economics, Oxford Economics(all economic consultancies), Moody's(which is a credit rating company) and such

whereas MSc Project management has IBM and ExxonMobil as the most prestigious employers, so on the face of it it looks like Economics is the more favored degree in terms of post degree salary. The admissions standards are higher for the MSc economics as well.

Is this the case for most schools where the Project management is a substitute for a good MBA or an MSc in Management degree? Frankly I've never heard of people talking about MSc in project management in forums like wallstreetoasis...

Economics is an academic degree whereas management etc are what I would call career development degrees the content of which you can easily learn on the job. I would worry less about salaries and more about where you want your career to go next or even if you need this degree for that as it's a big financial and academic commitment.
You don't need a degree in project management to be a project manager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending