The Student Room Group

As a Mature Student - Is it still important for you to get into a Russell Group Uni?

I've been meeting many mature students over the years who seem to not be bothered as long as they get into a University.

I was wondering if people are as determined as they get older to get into the best university they can get into?

I am 25 now, but I still feel the same about getting into a russell group university as I did at 18 (I have never got the chance to finally get there) and also feel that this might be the wrong thinking as I am getting older now?

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Scroll to see replies

It depends really. Some mature students might already have a lot of work+life experience, so the university they go to would matter less, since they would already have certain skills and traits employers seek.
Personally, I'm not going to a Russell Group university, and I'm 25. I'm not bothered by the university, I'm not even bothered by the degree, I'm going to university simply for the education, which I know I can get from any of the universities.
I also wanted to stay in my region, and the university I applied to had a course that was more suited to me. I'm going to be doing a joint honours in French and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, and the other universities in my region don't offer the combined subjects route.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Whispers
Personally, I'm not going to a Russell Group university, and I'm 25. I'm not bothered by the university, I'm not even bothered by the degree, I'm going to university simply for the education, which I know I can get from any of the universities.
I also wanted to stay in my region, and the university I applied to had a course that was more suited to me. I'm going to be doing a joint honours in French and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, and in the other universities in my region don't offer the combined subjects route.

Halle-bloody-lujah! Someone who's actually not obsessed with 'league tables' to the exclusion of everyone else.

Bonne chance! That sounds like a very good combination of subjects - French and TESOL.
Im 27 and will be attending The University of Nottingham for management, i think its still super important if not more so, at least in my opinion, i mean if you've done say access or foundation (i did foundation course). I feel like at age 26 (wheb u did it) just finished in august! You should be a little more determined and focused to get good grades. And if your capibilities dont lie in the higher range, what exactly is it with this over University culture. I dont see the point of taking on (EU student) £27,000k of debt for a second or third tier degree. If your 18-20 and not focused i could understand but at our age and maturity level i feel like we should aim high. Or simply come to grips we may not be cut out for University. There are many life paths one can take. I told myself either i get the grades to go to my firm Notts or Insurance Royal Holloway or i may scrap the whole idea. Im not sure if thats what i would have done but since it worked out i feel like its the right mindset! I advise that if you do decide to go to Uni aim high.
I hadn't even heard of the Russell Group when I decided to give university a try. I went somewhere local and not particularly high-ranking. It was only as a student that I became aware of attitudes towards different universities, but had I known before I doubt it would have affected my decision as I wasn't in a position to relocate then and didn't have a great prior academic record.

I'm starting my MA this year and will be attending a RG uni for that. I deliberately chose to apply to top universities because of my performance in my first degree - my lecturers encouraged me to do so.

It might make a difference that I left school at 16 and so never had the experience of a peer group talking about university choices, etc. It was all a bit culturally alien to me when I started.

I don't believe it's 'wrong thinking,' but I'd question the assumption that 'newer/lower ranking university' necessarily equates to 'bad' as well. As a mature student, you have to look at your priorities and responsibilities and make the best decision for you as an individual. There's no right or wrong answer!
Original post by Reality Check
Halle-bloody-lujah! Someone who's actually not obsessed with 'league tables' to the exclusion of everyone else.

Bonne chance! That sounds like a very good combination of subjects - French and TESOL.

Haha :P I actually hadn't looked at the league tables until way after I selected it as my firm choice, just out of curiosity, and noticed it was quite low, which didn't bother me. The university looked great on open day, they have fantastic facilities and the head of the course was very helpful and accommodating. This was more important to me than league tables.
Reply 7
The Russell Group is just a lobbying group.

There are too many good universities that aren't members (and average universities that are members) for it to be considered a definitive indicator of educational quality.
Original post by Evonium

This, lol. I found out by chance after firming Leicester that they'd previously refused an invitation to join.
I didn't chose my uni based on league tables (it's not a RG uni). I chose it because it did the degree as a Distance learning course so I could fit it into my lifestyle.
Original post by JamesN88
This, lol. I found out by chance after firming Leicester that they'd previously refused an invitation to join.

Not even RG could save a craphole like University of Leicester.....that town and campus is pure ****.
I started my degree at 29 and just graduated this summer. I was actually accepted to a Russell Group Uni (Glasgow) but chose to go to a non Russell Group (University of Strathclyde). For me the distinction between RG and non RG didn't really come into it. Strathclyde is still a great uni and there were other factors (I had done my access course there so I knew the uni, it was an easier commute). I'm now going on to do a masters at an RG but the decision to go there was based on the classes I'd get to take more than the stature of the uni.

I think, no matter what your age. The stature of the uni is only important to a certain extent. Unless you have a certain career in mind where your choice of uni actually makes a difference then its likely that one uni as is good as another to a certain extent. Though in saying that there are places which have a bad reputation. So maybe what I should really say is that, for most people, avoiding a uni which has a bad reputation is more important than going to one which is seen as very prestigious.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Not even RG could save a craphole like University of Leicester.....that town and campus is pure ****.

I like it because everything is close together. It's just that concrete monstrosity in the middle that kills it a bit.
Maybe im still a bit salty they rejected me for management....i got 4 out of 5 offers including Nottingham!!! damn you Leicester damn you lol!
Original post by Evonium

There are too many good universities that aren't members (and average universities that are members) for it to be considered a definitive indicator of educational quality.

The RG was never formed in regard to educational quality - all membership indicates is that the university pumps out a significant amount of research and they subsequently attract a significant amount of research funding.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Maybe im still a bit salty they rejected me for management....i got 4 out of 5 offers including Nottingham!!! damn you Leicester damn you lol!

Damn that's surprising. I always thought (based purely on anecdotes mind) that Notts were a bit stricter with entry.
Original post by SeriouslyCurious
I've been meeting many mature students over the years who seem to not be bothered as long as they get into a University.

I was wondering if people are as determined as they get older to get into the best university they can get into?

I am 25 now, but I still feel the same about getting into a russell group university as I did at 18 (I have never got the chance to finally get there) and also feel that this might be the wrong thinking as I am getting older now?

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Russell group is just a university where they do research and that's it. I don't understand why people think that if it's not an RG then it isn't worth going.
Original post by JamesN88
Damn that's surprising. I always thought (based purely on anecdotes mind) that Notts were a bit stricter with entry.

So did i, and since Notts spent forever deciding, i recieved leicester 4th out of my 5...i spent two months crying knowing i wouldnt get into Notts lol.

Until july 5th 2017 (january foundation didnt apply til march) they thankfully let me in and now im going! I swear its really a dream.
Reply 18
With my experience with many mature students, most of them are not very aware with all the humdrum surrounding Russell Group universities and league tables. They have been out of education for a while and are just happy to get into university. Many of them lead very busy lives so don't frequent places like TSR or even research as much as younger students do because they don't have as much free time and also because their time is more valuable (loaded statement but those who know, know).

Attending a good university is a plus always, but a good university doesn't have to be Russell Group. As mature students can have industry specific experience already, employers will have more reassurance when betting on mature students than someone fresh out of university with little real experience if any.
My choices were:

Undergrad RG, having only applied to RG (aged 18yrs)
Postgrad non RG, but strength in chosen subject area (aged 30+)
PhD non RG, but funded (mumble, mumble).

So, my need to get into a RG university dissipated as my academic career progressed, given the contextual factors of subject strength and funding.

Quick Reply