EPQ or Further Maths? Watch

Harry_KB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My current A level choices are Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I want to study engineering at a top university (if not then chemistry).Should I do an EPQ or Further Maths, with my selected subjects?
amyamy1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Further Maths, as most unis for Engineering will be far more interested in quantitative skills (maths) than essay writing skills. EPQ is useful in lowering grade offers for certain courses (e.g instead of AAA they may ask you to get AAB with the A in EPQ). Bear in mind getting an A in EPQ is quite hard especially as youre not doing any other essay subject. Taking FM however would make you better at normal maths and youre far more likely to then get an A.

Check what unis you want to go to and see if they include EPQ in their offer (ones im aware of are usually Southampton/York/Sheffield) but i would say for engineering FM would be way more useful.
Username1502
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your eye is on Engineering at a top university - then definitely, without a doubt, Further Maths to at least AS if not the full A-Level.
beckyyfoster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you do much reading around the subject your planning to do at university? If you don't I would recommend EPQ as it would drive you to do so, which may help you add thing to your personal statement.

Also, it would be better to do 3 A-Levels, than do a 4th and not get a good grade (not saying you would but). This being said, a good grade in FM is very highly valued, and the extra maths lessons and practice in further maths would probably help you achieve a better grade in maths, although further maths would be a much bigger workload than the EPQ.

You could start by doing further maths for a couple weeks, and if it suits you stick with it (as the maths lessons wouldn't really be a massive waste of time), and then switch to the EPQ if not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
32.24%
The paper was reasonable (388)
48.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (89)
11.21%
It was TERRIBLE (61)
7.68%

Watched Threads