The Student Room Group

GCSE art to A-level art

I have chosen to do A level art and the school required a grade B at gcse art to do so. I got my results yesterday and ended up getting a C grade and I was only a few marks away from the B grade. I worked incredibly hard during GCSE art but I was living out of country and missed pretty much the whole first unit and didn't have a lot of a coursework which the teachers said not to worry about but it still pulled my grade down . My question is that would doing A level art be a good choice because I really enjoy art but I'm not sure if I'm good enough to do it. Also does A level art always have to be portraiture style topics or can it be other topics and can you achieve a high grade with it? Side note ( I was doing MYP which is the IB curriculum and was achieving a grade 7 in art which is the highest grade)
Yes, you could - but you'll need to liaise with the art teachers to ensure you can meet the requirements of the marking rubric. You'll need to make sure they're happy to take you in the first place anyway - I got a C in GCSE Art and so my IBD teachers required me to begin in SL Art (I had originally planned to do HL - I later switched into HL and just missed a 6 so, I did ok :tongue: )
At a higher level, fine art is really difficult mainly due to the amount of work hours you have to put in. You won't have to do entirely portraiture topics as you have much more freedom. If you're focused and work hard I would recommend doing it!
Dogs are kushty mate
Reply 4
Truefuly I found level a little hard but I got through with a B. If you want to do something with it in the future then go for it. Bit if you just doing it because it's an 'easy subject ' , I suggest not. They file on a hell of a lot if work. But no it's not all portraits ,but if you want a high mark best bet is do something you can draw from life.... They pretty biest with it.

Quick Reply

Latest