Apple2017
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi
Did anyone do ccea English language unit 1 (higher tier) this May/June? I did and I was slightly disappointed with my result in it yesterday.

English is one of my strongest subjects and in all my mock papers I got As and in unit 2 last June I got an a* so for unit 1 I thought I had performed to a* standard yet my UMS mark was 24/40 which was right on a C so I've no idea what has happened, I know what I had written in that exam was more than a C.

I got an A for English overall so yes you may think I'm being OTT but I'm not really if I deserve to have gotten maybe an A* which was at no fault of my own.

I sat unit 1 As foundation last year and got full UMS and got a C so I was entered for higher tier this June as I should have been on higher tier originally but somehow I got less marks this year so they used last years foundation mark to contribute to the cash in.

Does anybody else who sat this exam in June think they got a lower grade than what they deserved?
KCoD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Apple2017)
Hi
Does anybody else who sat this exam in June think they got a lower grade than what they deserved?
I did AQA GCSE English language (which was reformed, so 9-1 scale - 9 top end of A*, 4/5 as a C grade) so idk if this helps, but:

In my first paper, I got like half marks (a low 5 - two marks off a 4) which was not at all consistent with my predicted grades, mocks, etc. I guess the exam could have just gone really badly, but surely I would have known?

Anyway, close to full marks in the second paper was very much consistent with my performance throughout the year. This was a high 9, and as such was able to drag my grade up to being a very low 8, right on the grade boundary.

My friend also had a similar experience, with her mark in paper 2 double what she got in paper 1, despite the grade boundaries being very similar for each paper, showing there was little difference in difficulty.

May not be related but just thought I'd share my experience as so far no-one else that I know has found out their individual paper marks
Apple2017
Rep:
?
(Original post by KCoD)
I did AQA GCSE English language (which was reformed, so 9-1 scale - 9 top end of A*, 4/5 as a C grade) so idk if this helps, but:

In my first paper, I got like half marks (a low 5 - two marks off a 4) which was not at all consistent with my predicted grades, mocks, etc. I guess the exam could have just gone really badly, but surely I would have known?

Anyway, close to full marks in the second paper was very much consistent with my performance throughout the year. This was a high 9, and as such was able to drag my grade up to being a very low 8, right on the grade boundary.

My friend also had a similar experience, with her mark in paper 2 double what she got in paper 1, despite the grade boundaries being very similar for each paper, showing there was little difference in difficulty.

May not be related but just thought I'd share my experience as so far no-one else that I know has found out their individual paper marks
I know exactly! You'd know if you done really badly in an exam! Obviously you can't see what I had written but I did write 2 answer booklets but of course I could have written two booklets of crap but i know that I didn't so when I think that if I had gotten one less mark I would have gotten a D in that paper, it just doesn't seem right at all!
KCoD
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know exactly! You'd know if you done really badly in an exam! Obviously you can't see what I had written but I did write 2 answer booklets but of course I could have written two booklets of crap but i know that I didn't so when I think that if I had gotten one less mark I would have gotten a D in that paper, it just doesn't seem right at all!
I know of two other people on AQA who have had the same experience - one from my school, one from elsewhere - with the second paper almost double their first. Seems really dodgy to me :/

And idk about your exam board, but for AQA the deadlines are so that you can request an access to scripts, receive it and look at it, and then decide if you want to apply for a review of marking or not.
Apple2017
Rep:
?
(Original post by KCoD)
I know of two other people on AQA who have had the same experience - one from my school, one from elsewhere - with the second paper almost double their first. Seems really dodgy to me :/

And idk about your exam board, but for AQA the deadlines are so that you can request an access to scripts, receive it and look at it, and then decide if you want to apply for a review of marking or not.
Yeah I think ccea is the same in regards to deadlines.

I don't think I'll go for a remark now, I know they definitely did not mark that individual paper properly but I got an A overall which I am pleased with so really I shouldn't care what I got in unit 1
KCoD
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I think ccea is the same in regards to deadlines.

I don't think I'll go for a remark now, I know they definitely did not mark that individual paper properly but I got an A overall which I am pleased with so really I shouldn't care what I got in unit 1
Go for it! I reckon I'll go to the exam board given that I've seen three sets of results that show the same suspicious pattern...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (93)
5%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.1%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (198)
10.64%
Lack of purpose or motivation (262)
14.08%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (82)
4.41%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (107)
5.75%
Loneliness (162)
8.7%
Financial worries (66)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (81)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (88)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (102)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (164)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (175)
9.4%

Watched Threads