The Student Room Group

Privately retake my GCSE maths

I'm in my second year of college and I have just gotten a D in my first maths retake. I'm not really wanting to do a whole year doing maths twice a week, is there any way to retake my GCSE's privately in November?

Any help is appreciated.
Original post by r_username
I'm in my second year of college and I have just gotten a D in my first maths retake. I'm not really wanting to do a whole year doing maths twice a week, is there any way to retake my GCSE's privately in November?

Any help is appreciated.

Until you're 18 the government insists that you must continue to take GCSE maths and English until you pass, under the guidance of an institution. How old are you?
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
Until you're 18 the government insists that you must continue to take GCSE maths and English until you pass, under the guidance of an institution. How old are you?

I'm 17 right now. I'm fine with retaking with an institution but I'd rather do it somewhere else where I can retake in November. My college doesn't allow retakes in November.

Any help is appreciated.

I thought Winter resits were scrapped for the new GCSEs (9-1)?

EDIT:

Just re-read that you are still doing the legacy qualifications. I think that was the last resit opportunity for the legacy specs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/timeline-of-changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels/changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels-that-will-affect-each-current-school-year-group#year-11
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm 17 right now. I'm fine with retaking with an institution but I'd rather do it somewhere else where I can retake in November. My college doesn't allow retakes in November.

Then you'll have to go along with what your college does, they're your institution and government rules now say that if you're enrolled into education, you must keep trying to pass GCSE maths (and be taught it), until you're 18. You won't have any choice in the matter, you'll have to go to the lessons and retake next summer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
There's nothing to stop you finding a centre willing to accept you as a private candidate and paying to take it in November but i'd advise against it. You're going to have to take the new 9-1 Maths GCSE and so they'll be quite a lot of new stuff to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest