The Student Room Group

Russell Group Unis And English Lang Grade (GCSE)

So my English language grade was a 5 which isn't adequate enough ( I never understood how to get good at lang. My other GCSEs were fine though 8 in maths A* in furthermaths 3A*s for the separate sciences two As for my options so on so forth. One of my friends said they are now basing it off of the higher grade out of lit and Lang so it would be enough as I got a 7 but they can't cite a source apart from their mother's friend who is a teacher. Could I get some extra clarity on this? Also so retakes matter? The degree I would like to do is comp sci and shouldn't really have a relevance.
This isn't true.

I am in Durham which is part of the Russell group and I got a D in English Language at GCSE 14 years ago. I got asked to resit it as part of my offer but they only asked for a C/4. I'm going into teaching which gets quite a high level of applications and Durham's education department is the best in the country.

I did really bad on my GCSEs and had been out of education for 14 years before i did an access course last year. Basically what i'm trying to say is:

The main part of getting into a Uni is the application and your interview. If you can show them you want it more than other people they will give you a chance.

Good Luck
Depends where you want to go, but all of those A*s are amazing, and are in subjects that are relevant to your course!! The english shouldn't matter too much, but you may need it later when applying to jobs etc, bc they often ask for a C or above in english language and maths.

I highly doubt it will matter, but maybe contact the unis you're considering, and check.

Congratulations on your fantastics results, btw!! And good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest