The Student Room Group

Charlie Hebdo posts inflammatory cover after Barcelona attacks

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Free speech.
Ooooh now that one's very spicy

The magazine editor is right in saying that hard questions are being avoided, but there's probably a better way of asking them
Reply 3
Indeed it is a "shameful association". Islamic terrorism has nothing to do with Islam, only an Islamophobic racist would say otherwise.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Indeed it is a "shameful association". Islamic terrorism has nothing to do with Islam, only an Islamophobic racist would say otherwise.

Islam isn't a race.
Reply 5
Original post by YaliaV
Islam isn't a race.

Said the racist!

I trust you are being sarcastic but, just in case you aren't:

Islamic terrorism (which is perpetrated by Moslems, often on Moslems, for reasons and motives derived from the Islamic scriptures) is entirely to do with Islam.
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
I trust you are being sarcastic but, just in case you aren't:

Islamic terrorism (which is perpetrated by Moslems, often on Moslems, for reasons and motives derived from the Islamic scriptures) is entirely to do with Islam.

Indeed; I assumed that what I said was extreme enough to not appear genuine, but then it often becomes difficult to parody the "Islamophobia" crew as many of them are bordering on self-parody. The fact that people seem to honestly believe that it is racist or at all incorrect to note such a blatantly obvious link is just bizarre to me.
Reply 8
Every time a terrorist attack happens, people always come out with the "so much for Islam being a religion of peace" line. It's so tired and unoriginal that I'd almost go as far as to suggest it was intended to mock the people who use it seriously, but then I know very little about the publication and its motivations. If it weren't for the fact that hate crimes against Muslims are rising at such an alarming rate, I'd be tempted to laugh at just how clichéd it is.

In terms of French hate speech/freedom of the press laws, it's quite close to the line, but probably technically allowed.
(edited 6 years ago)
What part of it isn't true?
Said the racist!

It literally isn't a race, as there are white muslims. Are you high or is there something wrong with you? The level of hysteria and nonsense is unreal
Original post by Reality Check
What part of it isn't true?

I think the headline tells us what some people think. It says:

Charlie Hebdo publishes cartoon of Barcelona attack criticised for portraying Islam as inherently violent.

Yet Islam is inherently violent, so the critics are clearly missing something.

It is inherently violent because it and its scriptures grew out of the aggressive political ambitions of a successful mediaeval warlord who was aiming to manipulate his people into following him into battle. You do not get much more violent than that.

When it suits Mohammed to preach peace and love, the Koran preaches peace and love. But when it suits Mohammed to preach war, violent retribution, barbaric punishments and death to the unbelievers, it preaches exactly that.

There is no argument about it, and it certainly shouldn't be hidden away in a corner. The terrorists are simply using Islam's violent bits for the purpose they were intended. Nobody should be surprised by that.
I think the headline tells us what some people think. It says:

Charlie Hebdo publishes cartoon of Barcelona attack criticised for portraying Islam as inherently violent.

Yet Islam is inherently violent, so the critics are clearly missing something.

It is inherently violent because it and its scriptures grew out of the aggressive political ambitions of a successful mediaeval warlord who was aiming to manipulate his people into following him into battle. You do not get much more violent than that.

When it suits Mohammed to preach peace and love, the Koran preaches peace and love. But when it suits Mohammed to preach war, violent retribution, barbaric punishments and death to the unbelievers, it preaches exactly that.

There is no argument about it, and it certainly shouldn't be hidden away in a corner. The terrorists are simply using Islam's violent bits for the purpose they were intended. Nobody should be surprised by that.

PRSOM. 'The Religion of Peace' is about as hollow and empty as 'Strong and Stable'. Both are conceived to mislead and advance an agenda which the facts do not support.
(edited 6 years ago)
Charlie Hebdo is going to get another terrorist attack if they keep up with this
Note: I do not support terrorism in any way
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
Charlie Hebdo is going to get another terrorist attack if they keep up with this

That will confirm whether Islam is a religion of peace or whether it is a religion of pieces, won't it?

Nobody has the right, in a civilised country, to respond violently to anyone else's views, no matter how much they offend their sensibilities or religious principles.
Original post by Reality Check
PRSOM. 'The Religion of Peace' is about as hollow and empty as 'Strong and Stable'. Both are conceived to mislead and advance an agenda which the facts do not support.

This week's Jesus and Mo cartoon is apposite:

http://www.jesusandmo.net
This week's Jesus and Mo cartoon is apposite:

http://www.jesusandmo.net

LOL - I love that cartoon. I'm allowed to say that now :smile:
That will confirm whether Islam is a religion of peace or whether it is a religion of pieces, won't it?

Nobody has the right, in a civilised country, to respond violently to anyone else's views, no matter how much they offend their sensibilities or religious principles.

I am not supporting terrorism in any way, it's a barbaric act and none has the right to do it, the terrorist attacks at Charlie Hebdo happened because of Charlie Hebdo portraying Muhammad in a offensive way so that's something they should take into consideration, not saying they should stop with their agenda, they can carry on criticizing Islam if they want to.
Reply 18
Original post by YaliaV
It literally isn't a race, as there are white muslims. Are you high or is there something wrong with you? The level of hysteria and nonsense is unreal

Read the last post I made. I thought the sarcasm was obvious, but apparently not.
Well although there are muslims that are peaceful (as in every single religious organisation/pressure group) there are also muslims that are more radical than others. As for Charlie Hebdo they have experienced a terrorist attack on them already so in my opinion its not necessarily hate speech but I see it as free speech.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending