The Student Room Group

Can I still get in to Dental Universities with these bad GCSE grades ?

Scroll to see replies

like annything that prevented you from achieving the best you could have done? like berevement or family problems or etc
Original post by zmarai123
what do you mean?
Reply 21
Original post by Glassapple
I don't see how you think you're going to get A*A*A* at A-levels when you've just scraped through your GCSEs in science, A-levels build on the harder knowledge from GCSE and then get much harder in general. What has your school said about you taking A-level sciences? My school, and most other schools I've heard of, don't let students take science A-levels without at least a B in core science and B in additional science.

I've got a B in Additional Science and they say I can do it, as these results were a complete shock to me as I had regularly gotten A's and B's in class tests.
Reply 22
Original post by 00sevenmagic
What? you dont really know what you are talking about. Clearly being a dentist is not your dream. Dentistry is 5 years, and can be 4 years if all ready done another degree (which is easier to get into with bad gcses grades)

you know for postgraduate, can the degree before applying for dentistry be any course and does it have to be a certain amount of years?
Reply 23
Original post by ffhgghfhgf
like annything that prevented you from achieving the best you could have done? like berevement or family problems or etc

no not really, can i still get into uni do you think?
wow you should really do some research. A degree related so... something like neuroscience. Doesnt need to be certain number of yeras

you know for postgraduate, can the degree before applying for dentistry be any course and does it have to be a certain amount of years?
Im not really sure. but make sure you dont give up on your dream
Reply 26
Original post by 00sevenmagic
wow you should really do some research. A degree related so... something like neuroscience. Doesnt need to be certain number of yeras

oh okay, thank you so much !
sorry gtg
I've got a B in Additional Science and they say I can do it, as these results were a complete shock to me as I had regularly gotten A's and B's in class tests.

'Six A grade GCSEs including either Dual Award Science or Core, Additional and Further Additional Science or Biology, Chemistry & Physics'. 'Grade 6 or above in GCSE English Language and Mathematics is also required'
https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/dentistry/study/undergraduate/dentistry-bds/?pg=3

That is going to be pretty much the same for every dental course.
I'm not really sure what to suggest here but the universities in the UK dentistry course require at least Bs/As in GCSE. I suggest you revise really well for your AS and A levels and then you could possibly apply abroad. I don't think resitting GCSEs would be the most appropriate here as dentistry courses do not accept GCSE resits. Perhaps you could look at careers similar to being a dentist for example Oral Science? Or you could think about being a Dental therapist or nurse?
Reply 30
Original post by Glassapple
'Six A grade GCSEs including either Dual Award Science or Core, Additional and Further Additional Science or Biology, Chemistry & Physics'. 'Grade 6 or above in GCSE English Language and Mathematics is also required'
https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/dentistry/study/undergraduate/dentistry-bds/?pg=3

That is going to be pretty much the same for every dental course.

If I can't retake, what else can I do? :frown:

Look at a different career, dentistry isn't the only job in the world.
Nothing....

Reply 33
Original post by Ediesedgewick
I'm not really sure what to suggest here but the universities in the UK dentistry course require at least Bs/As in GCSE. I suggest you revise really well for your AS and A levels and then you could possibly apply abroad. I don't think resitting GCSEs would be the most appropriate here as dentistry courses do not accept GCSE resits. Perhaps you could look at careers similar to being a dentist for example Oral Science? Or you could think about being a Dental therapist or nurse?

But isn't applying abroad really expensive :frown: and I will try and look, thank you for replying btw
But isn't applying abroad really expensive :frown: and I will try and look, thank you for replying btw

Yes I'd imagine there is some funding available for students outside but I'm not too sure. You may have to look at that however you could pick universities like Plodiv which apparently have a low cost of living around 5-6k a year and tuition fee of 7k. I managed to get into Manchester for dentistry this year but Plodiv would have been a backup if I didn't get in.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Ediesedgewick
Yes I'd imagine there is some funding available for students outside but I'm not too sure. You may have to look at that however you could pick universities like Plodiv which apparently have a low cost of living around 5-6k a year and tuition fee of 7k. I managed to get into Manchester for dentistry this year but Plodiv would have been a backup if I didn't get in.

Lucky You
You may have a chance if you had mitigating circumstances around your GCSEs. Examples would be illness, a family bereavement (This happened to me over the course of 4 years...my dad was very ill with diabetes and so mum and dad couldn't help me or motivate me to study - I didn't go to a private school either. He then passed away shortly after I had to drop out of sixth form).

Personally, I only achieved 4 C grades at school 10 years ago and now i'm a mature student looking to go to university. If I was you i'd go to college, get some A Levels and then get a job with what you have or go self employed (some very successful people out there - Richard Branson, Duncan Bannatyne, Deborah Meaden...etc who didn't even make college). If you remain ambitious, then you'll encounter another passion that you'll want to work on, trust me. Look at it another way - let's assume you got all A/A* at school, would this be a guarantee that you'll get into Dentistry? Far from it. It's a tough world unfortunately but there's still opportunities to feed your ambition. Look to pay the bills for now and you'll find your way. You have enough right now to get into sixth form, so count your blessings.

To sum up you have 4 options:

- Go to college, get A Levels, go get a job. In this case, the most useful A Levels would be English, Maths and a Science.
- Go to college, get A Levels relevant to an alternative degree course and get an alternative degree
- Go to college, get A Levels (if they're compulsory - they weren't in my time) and then go self employed.
- Go to college, don't try and not work with what you have.

Good A Levels can make up for not so great GCSEs in the vast majority of university courses (though i'd personally be happy with your GCSEs).

If you really want to go to university now, write down your hobbies, skills, how much you want to earn if this is important, where you want to study and come up with an alternative course.
(edited 6 years ago)
I got 2as 2bs and 4cs and I'm crying my eyes out, this guy has kind of unrealistic expectations
plymouth dental school is your only chance i think, they would take you on if you have AAA at a level and high ukcat + good interview.
Btw for dental schools good a levels don't make up for poor GCSE's, you MUST meet the minimum requirement.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi Everyone, I was just wondering if I could still get into Dental Universities (particularly Queen Mary's London) with these GCSE's and hopefully if I get A*A*A* for my A-Levels.Has my dream been shattered?

Maths-4(c)
Geography-C
English Lit-5(C)
English Lang- 5(C) with Distinction Speaking
Sociology-C
French-D
Core Science-C
Additional Science-B
Design And Technology-C
Religious Studies-B

So overall: 2B's 7C's 1D

If I get A*A*A* for A-levels, do you think I still have a chance? :frown:

Those are extremely amazing grades you should strive for Oxford Uni!

Quick Reply

Latest