What is the difference between Maths A-Level and AS Level

Watch
This discussion is closed.
JamesPython
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As I got my GCSE results yesterday I need to know what the difference is between A-Level and AS Level Maths. Is there a big difference in required intelligence, is the course length different. What is different about the 2 courses?

Thanks in advance James.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
AS level involves the work of the first half of the A level. Normally AS is studied over 1 year and A level over 2 years.
MoreCowbell
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
AS is simply the first year of the two year course. If your course is 'non-linear', this means you can do AS maths (first year) and then leave college (if you wanted to) with a set of AS results, or, you could just carry on and do A2 (second year). A-Level maths is two years, the first being AS and the second being A2. If it's linear then you have to stay two years and do all exams at the end.
AS maths is just the first half of the A-level, the courses aren't 'different', A-Level just is the full course.
JamesPython
Rep:
(Original post by Compost)
AS level involves the work of the first half of the A level. Normally AS is studied over 1 year and A level over 2 years.
Thank you for this.
JamesPython
Rep:
(Original post by JadeMac)
AS is simply the first year of the two year course. If your course is 'non-linear', this means you can do AS maths (first year) and then leave college (if you wanted to) with a set of AS results, or, you could just carry on and do A2 (second year). A-Level maths is two years, the first being AS and the second being A2. If it's linear then you have to stay two years and do all exams at the end.
AS maths is just the first half of the A-level, the courses aren't 'different', A-Level just is the full course.
Thank you for the level of detail really helped me to understand the differences.
Compost
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JadeMac)
It doesn't matter whether the course is linear or modular, you can take an AS at the end of the first year. The difference is that the AS exam is not the first half of the A level exams for linear qualifications.

Maths is now linear so there is no A2 - that's a term for modular A levels. If you start Maths A level then you can take the AS at the end of the first year and either stop then or carry on and take the A level. The second year is just the second year of A level.
Mohaider
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Can you go youniwith only A S Level Maths and not complete second year of A Level?
Compost
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mohaider)
Can you go youniwith only A S Level Maths and not complete second year of A Level?
It depends what university course you are applying for and what other qualifications you are doing.
KingRich
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Compost)
It depends what university course you are applying for and what other qualifications you are doing.
Do you think it would be possible as a mature student to go to University of Sussex to study mechanical engineering with just AS level In maths?

I’m studying at home by myself and finding the studies to be taking longer than I expected and I’d like to to Uni next year
EOData
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
No, because their basic entry requirement includes a B at A level Maths https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/under...gineering-beng and no because you'd really struggle with the Maths when you got there as you hadn't covered a load of basic stuff.
KingRich
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by EOData)
No, because their basic entry requirement includes a B at A level Maths https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/under...gineering-beng and no because you'd really struggle with the Maths when you got there as you hadn't covered a load of basic stuff.
Okay, thanks
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (1)
7.69%
Okay (5)
38.46%
A bit lacking (4)
30.77%
Not good at all (3)
23.08%

Watched Threads