The Student Room Group

PE grade

My son got a grade D in PE but we feel it should be a C, he got 176, unit 3- 37 and unit 4- 137. Does anyone know if this is correct? On the AQA website it says a D for 39 but he got an F!!!!
Original post by Archieralph
My son got a grade D in PE but we feel it should be a C, he got 176, unit 3- 37 and unit 4- 137. Does anyone know if this is correct? On the AQA website it says a D for 39 but he got an F!!!!

How close was he to a C?
Regarding the AQA website make sure you aren't confusing UMS and Raw marks!
The marks on your results slip are UMS, the grade boundaries are raw marks.

You need 180 UMS overall to get a C
Reply 3
Original post by Ruby1997
How close was he to a C?
Regarding the AQA website make sure you aren't confusing UMS and Raw marks!

Hi Ruby I havnt got a clue I am just going off those two marks which are on his results paper! What are UMS and Raw marks?
Original post by Archieralph
Hi Ruby I havnt got a clue I am just going off those two marks which are on his results paper! What are UMS and Raw marks?

Hey!
The UMS are the numbers you see on the results sheet, they're converted from raw marks which are what you see on the AQA website grade boundaries. Raw marks are the marks awarded for each question on an exam - after they've been totalled that's when they're converted to UMS
From what you've said your sons grades convert to:
Unit 3 - 37 UMS / 25 Raw Marks - Very low F
Unit 4 - 137 UMS / 80 Raw Marks - very high B (2 marks off an A)
Total - 174 UMS / 105 Raw

So your son did very well in unit 4 and was 2 marks off an A, but unfortunately got a low F in unit 3 which bought him right down (grade boundaries where high this year)
To get a C he would need 6 UMS - which is roughly 5 Raw marks. For GCSE PE ( which I did a couple of years ago) 5 Marks is a fair bit, it's the equivalent to 2-3 questions. You could appeal or get it remarked but it's likely to move to a C unfortunately
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ruby1997
Hey!
The UMS are the numbers you see on the results sheet, they're converted from raw marks which are what you see on the AQA website grade boundaries. Raw marks are the marks awarded for each question on an exam - after they've been totalled that's when they're converted to UMS
From what you've said your sons grades convert to:
Unit 3 - 37 UMS / 25 Raw Marks - Very low F
Unit 4 - 137 UMS / 80 Raw Marks - very high B (2 marks off an A)
Total - 174 UMS / 105 Raw

So your son did very well in unit 4 and was 2 marks off an A, but unfortunately got a low F in unit 3 which bought him right down (grade boundaries where high this year)
To get a C he would need 6 UMS - which is roughly 5 Raw marks. For GCSE PE ( which I did a couple of years ago) 5 Marks is a fair bit, it's the equivalent to 2-3 questions. You could appeal or get it remarked but it's likely to move to a C unfortunately

Thankyou so much for this it makes more sense now.
Reply 6
Original post by thegalaxy
The marks on your results slip are UMS, the grade boundaries are raw marks.

You need 180 UMS overall to get a C

Thankyou gutted he was so close

Quick Reply

Latest