alice.eliza
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
can I get some advice on preparation for starting my A-levels. I'm taking History, English Literature and Spanish, I got A's in these subjects at GCSE so what should I do before starting sixth form and also during the year? x
JCIM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was thinking the same thing. Im taking Philosophy, Politics and Economics.
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alicepatching)
can I get some advice on preparation for starting my A-levels. I'm taking History, English Literature and Spanish, I got A's in these subjects at GCSE so what should I do before starting sixth form and also during the year? x
Maybe read one/some of the books you'll be studying for Spanish and English lit? I read one of my French books and really enjoyed it; I would have done the same in English but I'd already read them all, weirdly :') there isn't much else you can prepare for since they're not factual subjects, unless you want to consolidate your Spanish grammar (the subjunctive is going to be very important at A-level so don't forget it!).

For history, I suppose you could read a bit around the areas you'll be studying, especially if you're studying a region or time period which you haven't studied before.
Jasminea
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
During the year I would advise you make your revision notes as you go along so you don't have to do them all at the end of the year. (There's a lot to learn).

In languages grammar is important, so if you can understand that then it makes life a bit easier. I also did work experience in France to help my French. If you're not short of money, then it might help improve your Spanish. I used this company https://www.workexperienceabroad.co.uk

Reading around the subject is good too. When I did history A-level for a bit, we were given the white queen by Philippa Gregory to read. This was a good way to learn about our period in history even though some of the book was fiction.

I didn't do English so I can't help you there, sorry.
Pedrex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alicepatching)
What books are you doing for English Literature ?? As i may be able to help as i did Lit last year for year 12

Also is this your first year at sixth form or second ?
alice.eliza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pedrex)
What books are you doing for English Literature ?? As i may be able to help as i did Lit last year for year 12

Also is this your first year at sixth form or second ?
first year. from the website- English Literature focuses on analysing poetry, novels and plays. At AS, you will study Othello and a range of pre-1900 poetry, alongside two novels: The Great Gatsby and Persuasion
alice.eliza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasminea)
During the year I would advise you make your revision notes as you go along so you don't have to do them all at the end of the year. (There's a lot to learn).

In languages grammar is important, so if you can understand that then it makes life a bit easier. I also did work experience in France to help my French. If you're not short of money, then it might help improve your Spanish. I used this company https://www.workexperienceabroad.co.uk

Reading around the subject is good too. When I did history A-level for a bit, we were given the white queen by Philippa Gregory to read. This was a good way to learn about our period in history even though some of the book was fiction.

I didn't do English so I can't help you there, sorry.
thanks will try these!
username3497538
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I take English lit and I don't really think its completely necessary to do any prep before you start yr 12. But if you do know what books you're studying, it might be worth reading them in advance.
Bearing in mind you might get all the books you need this year at a reduced rate from your school. So be aware of this before you purchase them all separately
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (92)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.47%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.65%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.45%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.05%

Watched Threads