Learning to cook. Watch

Kira Yagami
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am interested in food and stuff but I don't ever cook. I would really like to learn how to do the basics at least and then go on to make more complex things.

What are the best ways to learn? Videos? Cooking classes?

Thanks...
username3441700
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends how you prefer to learn,
if you're more practical then go ahead and do a cooking class but if you are more of a visual learner then watch videos and follow along.
Kira Yagami
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Boredom101)
It depends how you prefer to learn,
if you're more practical then go ahead and do a cooking class but if you are more of a visual learner then watch videos and follow along.
I can learn in many different ways, I'm just wondering which is the most effective and efficient method.

Thanks.
username3441700
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kira Yagami)
I can learn in many different ways, I'm just wondering which is the most effective and efficient method.

Thanks.
Use videos or BBC's recipe's because then you can practice your cooking and then season to your taste.
Cooking classes aren't cost efficient compared to videos and recipes and you will only learn to cook the food in one way as opposed to choosing the method you like best and comparing which you can do online.
luq_ali
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Peace,

I realize this is a little old-school, perhaps, but in addition to the things which have been written about watching cooking on tv shows and videos online, I must recommend a good cookbook. A good cookbook will have readings on the basics of cooking, flavorings, seasoning, preparations, building up cooking supplies, the basic foundations of cooking, as well as (if you by an introductory level cookbook) recipes that allow you to build up your skills, starting with simple things, step by step, to the more complex dishes.

Hi, I am interested in food and stuff but I don't ever cook. I would really like to learn how to do the basics at least and then go on to make more complex things.

Thanks...
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks...
Find some recipes videos etc for a few basic things and cook them. Keep trying new recipes and looking up variations of the same type of meal. Eventually you will get the hang of things.
Doesn't matter if you use videos, written recipes etc, what matters is that you practice it yourself.

I would say start with a few categories and practice variations of them.
Maybe start with a pasta dish (maybe carbonara or spag bol), a rice or noodle dish (maybe curry or stir fry), a meat dish (maybe grilled chicken or steak) and a desert dish (maybe cake or cookies).
Don't be afraid to experiment a bit. That's how you learn. Some things will go well, some things wont. You will learn from it.
If you look at enough recipes you will learn what the main parts are and what parts are adaptable. Play around with the adaptable parts.
Jack22031994
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks.
Follow recipes then, and eventually you'll be able t add you own tweaks etc and then wont beed them.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks...
The very best way is to learn by people who are cooking. Cooking together with them is the best to get the first experiences, after getting some experiences, you may cook by recipes written in books.
Big Papa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks...
Are you related to Light Yagami?
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Immunology)
Are you related to Light Yagami?
I think the thread starter is a fan of the anime death note, it is really a good one.
Big Papa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
I think the thread starter is a fan of the anime death note, it is really a good one.
I know, that's why I asked :P
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks.
The most effective and thus efficient method is still learning by doing. That is to say prepare foods with people you can trust in cooking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed