The Student Room Group

A-level options - I NEED HELP

Hi! I have a huge dilemma.
So my GCSE's went a lot better than I expected, achieving a 9 in English literature, 8 in language .. 3 A*s and 5 A's. This was a shock.
Originally my chosen subjects were history (I got full marks in all of my papers😀), English literature, sociology and RE. However after recieving my results I have been 'advised' by both my parents and my teachers to pick different things. This is actually because I don't actually know what career I would like to go into in the future so apparently choosing these options would restrain me a lot. Currently I wish to study history at a top university but that could change (I'm very indecisive) !
So basically I don't know if I should do the original options that I enjoy and love learning OR do what they are suggesting and broaden by options by choosing chemistry and biology, maybe maths? Are my original options not 'respected' enough by the best universities?
Please can someone help ! Thank you!
Original post by Nad.j
Hi! I have a huge dilemma.
So my GCSE's went a lot better than I expected, achieving a 9 in English literature, 8 in the language .. 3 A*s and 5 A's. This was a shock.
Originally my chosen subjects were history (I got full marks in all of my papers😀), English literature, sociology, and RE. However, after receiving my results, I have been 'advised' by both my parents and my teachers to pick different things. This is actually because I don't actually know what career I would like to go into in the future so apparently choosing these options would restrain me a lot. Currently, I wish to study history at a top university but that could change (I'm very indecisive)!
So basically I don't know if I should do the original options that I enjoy and love learning OR do what they are suggesting and broaden by options by choosing chemistry and biology, maybe maths? Are my original options not 'respected' enough by the best universities?
Please, can someone help! Thank you!

If you wish to study History at the top university, why not go for it. evidently, you are really good at writing, you got high grades in English and history.
But the A levels have been to somehow linked like I'm doing Maths, Physics and Product Design, it's all maths based subjects.
just do what you think it's best for you
Definitely go for history but you can still broaden your a level choices. Possibly do history English a science you like and if you want to do a 4th another essay type subject
If you want to do History do not choose subjects like chemistry, biology and maths if you have no desire to do so. They are no more 'academic' or 'rigorous' than English Lit and History - the humanities are just as well respected as the sciences and if you have no passion for them you're going to struggle. You should be choosing what you enjoy and think you'll excel at. Don't pick a levels based on what your teachers tell you to do, or you'll probably regret it. If you want to study history at a top uni, they want to know if you
1) love history and read around it
2) can write well
3) can evaluate and analyse sources
Your original choices accommodate for that. You don't have to broaden your options if you already know what you want to do. 2 facilitating subjects is fine, science isn't necessary for you to be considered a capable and able student.
Reply 4
Original post by Realityman
If you wish to study History at the top university, why not go for it. evidently, you are really good at writing, you got high grades in English and history.
But the A levels have been to somehow linked like I'm doing Maths, Physics and Product Design, it's all maths based subjects.
just do what you think it's best for you

Oh so you think having 4 A levels that are linked in some way is almost more respectable than having 4 different ones? interesting
History and lit are both good choices, they're facilitating and the skills are transferable. Sociology and RE are less so, however they would be fine if you do choose to do history at uni. But unless you want to do something very specific or science based, you should be safe choosing those options. I don't know what career I want to choose, want to do history at uni, and am currently taking history, economics, and law. I've never been told that my choices will hold me back. Unless you may consider a career in the sciences, I think taking all humanities subjects is fine. I just want to point out that your subjects don't have to be linked at all, yes it helps if they're all essay based or maths related, but they don't need to be related to each other whatsoever. If anything I know some people who have a completely unrelated subject which they enjoy most because it is so different from their other subjects
Original post by Nad.j
Oh so you think having 4 A levels that are linked in some way is almost more respectable than having 4 different ones? interesting

it's not more respectable, easier to find a course with 4 subjects that all linked.

example, maths, PE, Art and Food Tech.
That is even harder to pick a course out of these subjects.
You can do the subjects you wanted, but it's all about how these subjects will able to help you do the course better and easier.
You have at least two "core" A-level subjects, and the other two are generally considered "preferred" (non-preferred subjects are usually vocationally oriented courses that are more heavily assessed by coursework than exam such as IT, Accounting, and Visual/Performing Arts options).

If you're interested in those options, there's no reason to not take those.

Quick Reply

Latest