The Student Room Group

Can you do a level 3 BTEC extended diploma in 1 year?

I got DDEU in my AS levels and I want to change to btec business management.
Will this be another 2 years or will I be able to do it in a single year because I really don't want to waste another year in sixth form.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How many ucas points do you have at the moment?

You could do the BTEC 90 Credit Diploma that's 1 year, check how many ucas points the grades are worth. When you add it all up with your A levels if it's enough. You will get two grades, for 2 years it's 3.

If it's not enough, then unfortunately you will have to do 2 years.

Edit: just noted you've not done two years of A levels, just AS. I'm not sure AS has any ucas points.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
How many ucas points do you have at the moment?

You could do the BTEC 90 Credit Diploma that's 1 year, check how many ucas points the grades are worth. When you add it all up with your A levels if it's enough. You will get two grades, for 2 years it's 3.

If it's not enough, then unfortunately you will have to do 2 years.

Edit: just noted you've not done two years of A levels, just AS. I'm not sure AS has any ucas points.

They add up to 26 ucas points so I guess I either stay for another 2 years or carry on with a levels :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by TobyShorrock
They add up to 26 ucas points so I guess I either stay for another 2 years or carry on with a levels :frown:

I think you should go for the BTEC, don't take this personally but what if you don't get enough UCAS points next year, then you will be in the same situation you're in now. You may have to do two years of BTEC, to bring up UCAS points which will make it four years.

At least with BTEC you will know if you're on the right track with the grades (you get feedback after each assignment). I did a BTEC 😊

Colleges are still enrolling for BTEC, so just have a little think about what you want to do.
Original post by Ishax
I think you should go for the BTEC, don't take this personally but what if you don't get enough UCAS points next year, then you will be in the same situation you're in now. You may have to do two years of BTEC, to bring up UCAS points which will make it four years.

At least with BTEC you will know if you're on the right track with the grades (you get feedback after each assignment). I did a BTEC 😊

Colleges are still enrolling for BTEC, so just have a little think about what you want to do.

Thanks

I regret not revising as much for my AS levels now. My parents warned me earlier to revise because they'd hate it if I had to stay back a year and they're already disappointed with my grades. I don't know how I would be able to tell them I'm doing another year.
Reply 5
Thanks

I regret not revising as much for my AS levels now. My parents warned me earlier to revise because they'd hate it if I had to stay back a year and they're already disappointed with my grades. I don't know how I would be able to tell them I'm doing another year.

It's okay ☺️

Well, you can turn the disappointment around by working hard for the next one/two years on your BTEC and getting into university. Majority parents would be a little disappointed, including my own. It's only one more year, it doesn't make that much difference.
Original post by Ishax
It's okay ☺️

Well, you can turn the disappointment around by working hard for the next one/two years on your BTEC and getting into university. Majority parents would be a little disappointed, including my own. It's only one more year, it doesn't make that much difference.

I already did AS business studies so maybe there is a chance of me being able to complete it in 1 year if I choose business management as other people here have claimed to do it in a year
Reply 7
I already did AS business studies so maybe there is a chance of me being able to complete it in 1 year if I choose business management as other people here have claimed to do it in a year

Yes, you could do that. Contact some colleges next week and get yourself enrolled 😊
Original post by Ishax
Yes, you could do that. Contact some colleges next week and get yourself enrolled 😊

Just contacted my college and they said they said I need to contact the admissions team on Tuesday and talk to them. Wish me luck.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 9
Just contacted my college and they said they said I need to contact the admissions team on Tuesday and talk to them. Wish me luck.

Thanks a lot.

Good luck! ☺️
I know someone that did 90 credit in IT and 90 credit in health and social care in one year. Together that's 180 credits so they were able to go to uni the year after
I did a double BTEC in one year, A triple BTEC on the other hand, will be quite strenuous unlike A levels if you don't get on top of the coursework it is very easy to fall behind.
Original post by Boredom101
I did a double BTEC in one year, A triple BTEC on the other hand, will be quite strenuous unlike A levels if you don't get on top of the coursework it is very easy to fall behind.

Is a double BTEC unusual to do in one year? Also, I definitely won't let myself fall behind on coursework, learning from my first year mistakes :tongue:. Just hoping that they actually let me do it.
Is a double BTEC unusual to do in one year? Also, I definitely won't let myself fall behind on coursework, learning from my first year mistakes :tongue:. Just hoping that they actually let me do it.

Its fairly common to do it in a year :smile: I'm sure once they see that you're dedicated enough then you will be allowed to do it
Update: My college didn't let me do it but I'm now doing a btec subsidiary diploma in place of one of my subjects aswell as two A levels.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I know someone that did 90 credit in IT and 90 credit in health and social care in one year. Together that's 180 credits so they were able to go to uni the year after

hey there, do you know what they are studying at uni?
Original post by bramblefoot
hey there, do you know what they are studying at uni?

She's studying law at a uni in London
Reply 17
Update: My college didn't let me do it but I'm now doing a btec subsidiary diploma in place of one of my subjects aswell as two A levels.

hey toby im trying to do a btec along with 2 Alevels aswell. are you doing this all at one college or did you have to go somewhere else to do your btec
Which college / sixform was you able to do the btec extended diploma in one year as I understand he extended diploma btec is an actual 2 year course but some places do give you the opportunity to do that course in one year
hello there, i am now at college and i am in level one and i am hopefully going to skip level 2 and jump from level 1 to level 3, can i do the extended diploma in one year because i can not stay in college for 3 and i want to stay only one year and do the extended diploma in one year and go to university, please help me!

Quick Reply

Latest