The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GCSE: 8A*, 3A, 1B
AS level: AABBB
A2 predictions: A*AA in chemistry, biology, history/politics (I haven't chosen which to drop yet)
UKCAT: 3160 (790 avg) and band 1 SJT
Lots of experience eg. working in a care home, volunteering in a hospital, shadowing doctors, watching surgery, attending lectures, participating in clinical skills sessions
Extra curricular incl. national debating champion, student house leader, and vice chair of East Yorkshire Young Labour

What are my chances of getting an offer from Liverpool?
Original post by chloewalkr
GCSE: 8A*, 3A, 1B
AS level: AABBB
A2 predictions: A*AA in chemistry, biology, history/politics (I haven't chosen which to drop yet)
UKCAT: 3160 (790 avg) and band 1 SJT
Lots of experience eg. working in a care home, volunteering in a hospital, shadowing doctors, watching surgery, attending lectures, participating in clinical skills sessions
Extra curricular incl. national debating champion, student house leader, and vice chair of East Yorkshire Young Labour

What are my chances of getting an offer from Liverpool?

My advice is to apply to your strengths.

1. Liverpool is very ps heavy and this can be subjective.

2. Use your amazing ukcat and great gcses and apply to unis which score one or both of these. Notts, leic, Newcastle, Southampton, St. Georges hyms would all be guaranteed interviews witt those stats. Liverpool would not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SGHD26716
Yes. You have better GCSEs than me and I had 650 band 3 last year and I got an offer.

Really???
Yes really 😂

You're getting my hopes up. Can i ask you if its OK if you dont have an AS? i did 3 subjects instead of four at AS.
Mate I'm probably the most average candidate to get an offer 😂

It's fine. As of 2017 universities don't care about AS anymore. This is because some schools don't even do AS exams anymore. Therefore you're fine.

can you pm me your stats pls?
Reply 25
Hi guys I just had a few questions. Do Liverpool mind if you resit modules as I read somewhere that would like it done in the first sitting. Really need to resit some maths modules to bring up my grade! And also what is their cutoff for the UKCAT as I can't seem to find this on their website either. Thanks in advance!
Hey, I got 5A*, 3A, 1B at GCSE, with A*AA predicted for Psychology, Biology and Chemistry respectively. I got a 660 average UKCAT and Band 1 SJ. I have volunteered with a national youth rights charity on their mental health campaigns since I was 13, including travelling around the country to events and meetings. As well as this, I have volunteered at a local hospital as a Ward Befriender since April, working with Dementia patients. As well as this, I have been to a lot of Clinical Skills events and Medicine related exposure days. I'm aware this is all very positive but after seeing the UKCAT deciles and considering my B is in Maths at GCSE, I am wondering what Universities would be best to apply to? I wanted to apply to Liverpool, Sheffield, Keele and Nottingham. Is this realistic? My careers advisors are encouraging but unreliable!
Hey, I was just wondering if I could apply to Liverpool and stand a chance of getting an interview? I have 11A*s at IGCSE, 4 A* A level predictions in physics chemistry maths and biology, an A in AS further maths, but my UKCAT let me down; I got 660 average and SJT band 2. Would Liverpool be a good place to apply based on my alright grades but bad UKCAT score?
Original post by Medic8989
Hey, I was just wondering if I could apply to Liverpool and stand a chance of getting an interview? I have 11A*s at IGCSE, 4 A* A level predictions in physics chemistry maths and biology, an A in AS further maths, but my UKCAT let me down; I got 660 average and SJT band 2. Would Liverpool be a good place to apply based on my alright grades but bad UKCAT score?

Your UKCAT score isn't 'bad'.
Your score would actually meet the requirements for UKCAT for most universities (bar Newcastle, Southampton and another one).
So in conclusion, provided your personal statement as well as your a level predictions (and grades finally!) is good, you'll probably get an offer.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Your UKCAT score isn't 'bad'.
Your score would actually meet the requirements for UKCAT for most universities (bar Newcastle, Southampton and another one).
So in conclusion, provided your personal statement as well as your a level predictions (and grades finally!) is good, you'll probably get an offer.

heya I wanna study medicine in 2018 sept.
I have 10A*s at GCSE
4As at AS
660 Average UKCAT Band 2 SJT.
I know it's not a high UKCAT score, but I would love feedback on unis that these stats would be somewhat considerate to? thanks..I'm kinda debating what unis for medicine will invite for interview...I'm currently working on my PS too
Does anyone know how many total points the personal statement is rated for?

Is it 40 points?

Seems to be that the the GCSEs don't matter that much as most will get the full 18 points or one or two less
thinking of applying. how do score gcse grades? got 3A*s,7As, B(English language).
I got A*AA at a level and 680 band 2 at ukcat
at gcse I got 2A* 5A 4B
are my gcses/ukcat too low?
also am I at an advantage as I already have my a levels???
Original post by _Kermit
Hey fellow applicant passing through :smile:.
My stats are: GCSEs- 2A*, 8A, 1B
Alevels (achieved)- AAA and an A in EPQ
Ukcat: 667.5 Band 2
I'm just worried because the preliminary Ukcat scores seem ridiculously high this year (one decile above that last year for each) and I'm worried they'll raise the cutoffs :frown:, good luck to everyone and may the odds be ever in your favour!
If any interview/offer holders could give me some feedback I'd really appreciate it!

That is a good UKCAT score. Not good enough for the HIGH UKCAT unis - Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton - but plenty good enough for a lot of others. For Liverpool - that would be fine.
Original post by Xxx_mlg_xxX
I got A*AA at a level and 680 band 2 at ukcat
at gcse I got 2A* 5A 4B
are my gcses/ukcat too low?
also am I at an advantage as I already have my a levels???

Yout UKCAT is very good.

And yes - you clearly have an advantage with achieved grades. But Liverpool is PS heavy. Bear that in mind. PS can be subjective. They will not give you an offer if they don't like your PS achieved grades or not.
Original post by 00sevenmagic
thinking of applying. how do score gcse grades? got 3A*s,7As, B(English language).

Happy to advise genuine questions but not laziness. Check the website for entry requirements and it is perfectly clear.
Original post by Palace_Eagle
Does anyone know how many total points the personal statement is rated for?

Is it 40 points?

Seems to be that the the GCSEs don't matter that much as most will get the full 18 points or one or two less

Yes - 40 points for PS.

GCSEs do matter. Maths, English and Sciences need to be at B minimum. Yes - most people probably have 18. But some may have 16.
Original post by APPLICANT2016
Yes - 40 points for PS.

GCSEs do matter. Maths, English and Sciences need to be at B minimum. Yes - most people probably have 18. But some may have 16.

It's about relative weighting and then a 2 point difference is small when up to 40 points are given for the ps

That makes Liverpool a very ps heavy application procedure

Where are people getting the ukcat cutoff figure for Liverpool last year being 640?
gcses 3A*s 5As 2 Bs

A levels AAB (achieved) resitting
ukcat 643

2 years volunteering and 2 hospital placements plus working with mencap

is it worth applying?
Do liverpool consider contextual data for medicine i.e went to underperforming GCSE school etc ? if so anyone know if special considerations are taken into account?

Latest

Trending

Trending