The Student Room Group

Find people with the same A level options

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cormacpaul
are you hoping to study medicine bc if you are i would recommend sacking the EPQ off

Why?!!
When i started Year 12 I thought i wanted to do biomedical science and so i thought an EPQ on the medical and ethical aspects of research on primates would make me stand out. When i realised i wanted to do medicine and went on open days etc, they all said that the EPQ doesn't form any real part of the application, you could only talk about it briefly in your PS or interview. Also i found it a real hassle and burden and i was always behind and once i found out it wasn't going to be used in my med application i realised it was a complete waste of time so sort of gave up on making it really good. And even though when i chose my title the area really interested me (and it still does) i found that after 6 months or so, i wasn't really passionate enough to go and do shitloads of work outside the classroom. I kept ending up cramming stuff the night before a deadline. Having said that it does teach you some decent skills. I have some other issues with it but they're kind of minor things. I know some other guys who are medics and are doing/did an EPQ so i'll ask them as well. The two years would be a blessing bc it was constantly on my mind and was depressing how little work i had done. but even so you would want to make sure you get nearly all of it done in the first year so upper sixth is free for uni and A2s

However it does increase your ucas points. I spoke to people at King's and UCL and they say that an EPQ is extremely helpful as it's a strong talking part in your interview and it shows your passion for the subject.
Original post by ihatehannah
Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Cmon you noobs, whos manly enough to do the same subjects as me. Tag me yo and prove i'm not the only alpha in dis chat.

OI OI hardman over hear. Don't mess with him. He knows words like "noobs"!! And he has a scary elephant picture as his DP. DONT MESS EITH THE MANDEM😂
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Maths, biology and chemistry (and physics AS)

My options are quite popular especially amongst medics :smile:

Sammmeee (hopeful future medic)
Plus an EPQ later in the year
Original post by iamthestudent
Too damn right lol. But how are you doing an AS, they don't exist anymore.

My school still do the AS exams which means we can still drop a subject as we still get a certificate.
However for the new linear subjects the AS no longer count so essentially my AS exams results for biology and chemistry were only useful for uni (although I do have certificates for them) :smile:
I doubt anyone will have my combination!

Music, English Literature, Sociology, and Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Chemistry, physics, maths and an EPQ :smile:
Original post by iamthestudent
However it does increase your ucas points. I spoke to people at King's and UCL and they say that an EPQ is extremely helpful as it's a strong talking part in your interview and it shows your passion for the subject.

you can get ucas points from nearly everything these days. Yh sure an EPQ counts as half an a level and if you get a decent grade then fine but i thought it was a bit of a waste of time and ended up hating it but had put up with it too long to quit.

The passion aspect is a bit different. No one does an EPQ for 'their passion' just for points or the extra grade. You can prove passion in other ways; read books on stuff that really interests you and that is impressive to interviewers to see that you have tried to understand something really specific or complex. But anyway like i said its fine to talk about in the interview.

My point is that an EPQ doesnt form part of your offer, its AAA and an A* in EPQ won't change that to AAB or ABB and your EPQ does'nt count as one of your 3As, neither does critical thinking nor general studies so 100% drop them as soon as you start year 12 if you have chosen them. If you're going to do it just because it shows passion for a subject, that too is a waste of time, its a lot of unnecessary work and stress at times. It might be better to simply focus more on your real a levels and making sure you get at least As in them. While you may be able to talk about doing it in your interview, you could save yourself a year of hassle and read some really interesting books instead and subscribe to the student BMJ and read that or the biological and chemistry science reviews or the new scientist.
Original post by Deyb
Plus an EPQ later in the year

You sure you want to do an EPQ?? Might want to read what i have written to some other people ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Original post by chickenfajitas
Biology, Geography and Psychology :smile:
All AQA

I'm doing the same but i'm also doing chem :smile:
We have the same board for Geography and Psychology though, maybe in the future we can exchange notes and things :h:
Bio, chem, maths anyone?:smile:
Original post by perfectlywrecked
Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.
I think I'm beginning to regret choosing psychology. Teachers were telling me to take maths but I struggled to get a 7 in GCSE maths, so I wouldn't have been able to do A level maths.

Omg i had that exact same situation, i got a 6 and was a few marks off a 7 but they wouldn't let me take maths!
We have the same options though except i'm taking Geography and EPQ as well :smile:
Psychology
Economics
Maths
History

All AS 😊😊
Sociology, psychology and history :smile:
Reply 95
Chemistry, Biology and Fine Art
- English Literature
- Psychology
- Classics
You sure you want to do an EPQ?? Might want to read what i have written to some other people ^^^^^^^^^^^^

XD I am doing it purely out of further academic interest. UCAS points are just a bonus ^.^
History, german, french, EPQ (hopefully)

REALLY wanted to do RS because I love it and got an A* at GCSE but it's in the same time block as french... so I'm doing History instead... which I hate and dropped at GCSE :colondollar:
Original post by CinnamonSmol
(Repped bc good thread idea)
I'll be so surprised if anyone's doing the same as me

English Literature and Language
History
Graphic Design

Come at me a-level twinnies

I'm also doing History

Quick Reply

Latest