The Student Room Group

Degree without honours... what is it and is there any point having it?

Hey, just looking to find out what a degree without honours means.
I flew through stage 1-3 of my course and was loving it immensely. I'm luckily naturally academic so enjoyed uni greatly. This came back to bite me on the ass, majorly.
August before starting stage 4 I was diagnosed with ovarian, cervical and uterine cancer and was booked in for an emergency hysterectomy and further treatment. Needless to say, it knocked the hell out of me and took adjusting to. I struggled through the year after a later start and failed my second lot of exams, retook and failed one of two.
(Predominantly because I was a cocky **** who thought I'd fly through them like I had the others... this the biting of the ass).
I graduate this September with a degree... when questioning my final mark, I was told it was an 'ordinary' degree...

What does this mean?
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. :frown:

I believe the honours part is kind of like the * next to an A. You can get a degree without honours, but if you get a degree with honours, it means you did well and had a high overall score (though don't quote me on that as I'm a noob but I am starting a BSc (Hons) degree). If you hadn't had failed some parts, you probably would've received honours. However, it's not the end of the world and you still have your degree and it's still very much appreciated by employers. You should be proud! Congrats!
(edited 6 years ago)
With or without honours, you really did something amazing. It's important to remember that you didn't have a quick cold, or a broken toe. Cancer is a big thing, and you still fought through it to finish your degree. Sure, honours might be nice but you're a graduate, you're in good health and looking to the future. Well done for doing what you did under the circumstances. X
Reply 3
Graduating without honours means that you aren't awarded a classification, e.g. First, 2:1, 2:2, Third. You have a degree but no 'grade'.
Is there no way your university would reconsider your extenuating circumstances and allow you to resit some of your exams again, or perhaps base your degree classification on your first-third year results? It seems incredibly insensitive of them to not give you some leeway :frown:
Reply 4
I know this was some time ago but I'd like to share the regulations at my university in the hope yours has similar and you can appeal this seemingly unjust decision.
AEGROTAT CASES
14. Where the Examiners are satisfied by appropriate medical evidence that a student was prevented byillness from completing an examination but are satisfied that the work done by the student showsbeyond reasonable doubt that the student would have passed the examination, they may recommendthat the student be deemed to have passed the examination and that the student be awarded the creditsassigned to relevant units but without the award of a grade. The credits awarded in respect of such unitswill not be taken into account in determining the class of Degree to be awarded.
15. Where the Examiners are satisfied by appropriate medical evidence that a student was prevented byillness from completing a substantial part of the Final Examination for a Degree, and are satisfied thatthe work done by the student shows beyond reasonable doubt that the student would have passed theexamination but that it is impossible to determine the appropriate class in which the student should beplaced, they may recommend that the student be awarded an Aegrotat Degree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by HJayneF
Hey, just looking to find out what a degree without honours means.
I flew through stage 1-3 of my course and was loving it immensely. I'm luckily naturally academic so enjoyed uni greatly. This came back to bite me on the ass, majorly.
August before starting stage 4 I was diagnosed with ovarian, cervical and uterine cancer and was booked in for an emergency hysterectomy and further treatment. Needless to say, it knocked the hell out of me and took adjusting to. I struggled through the year after a later start and failed my second lot of exams, retook and failed one of two.
(Predominantly because I was a cocky **** who thought I'd fly through them like I had the others... this the biting of the ass).
I graduate this September with a degree... when questioning my final mark, I was told it was an 'ordinary' degree...

What does this mean?

it means you have not reached the required standard for an honours degree 360 cat pints you have however reached the required units for a degree without honours so that will be about 300+ cat points it's a degree just not one with honours.

Latest