Physics A level without maths A level

Watch
Picklerick
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My three A levels are biology, chemistry and physics which I have been happy with until results day, yesterday. I was talking to my maths teacher and he said that studying physics without maths means I won't do well in physics and now I'm a bit nervous. Any advice?
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How comfortable are you with gcse maths?
angharad24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Picklerick)
My three A levels are biology, chemistry and physics which I have been happy with until results day, yesterday. I was talking to my maths teacher and he said that studying physics without maths means I won't do well in physics and now I'm a bit nervous. Any advice?
I did the same three A levels as you - didn't take maths - and got an A* in physics so it's definitely doable. I did probably have to spend a bit more time on some stuff that others in my class found easy, and sometimes I went to my teacher for extra help. Just make sure you're confident in gcse maths, especially things like trigonometry and using formulas, and you should be fine.
Picklerick
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
How comfortable are you with gcse maths?
I got an 8 so I'm pretty comfortable and capable with gcse maths
sulaimanali
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
possible...
Picklerick
Rep:
?
(Original post by angharad24)
I did the same three A levels as you - didn't take maths - and got an A* in physics so it's definitely doable. I did probably have to spend a bit more time on some stuff that others in my class found easy, and sometimes I went to my teacher for extra help. Just make sure you're confident in gcse maths, especially things like trigonometry and using formulas, and you should be fine.
Thank you! I think I'm secure on trig and formulas etc and I've always made sure that if I didn't know something I went away and learnt it. You've given me hope as I know I'm willing to work hard to achieve good grades in the end. I hope to get an a* like you!
baznoy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
studying physics without maths will be tricky. Maybe not for AS, as most of the calculations are gcse with a bit of trigonometry knowledge with resolving vectors, but definitely at A2. There will be things that you won't know how to do, like dealing with the functions e and ln, but if you can be taught specifically the maths you won't know from gcse this shouldn't be a problem. If you plan on going into anything physics related in the future though, you have to have done a level maths.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an 8 so I'm pretty comfortable and capable with gcse maths
In the case as long as you are confident that you wont forget your gcse maths and that you'll be able to remember basic things like all your algebra, trig and graph interpretation then you'll be good.
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't understand how people say that. Just learn the maths required for physics and your physics teacher will definitely help
Picklerick
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
In the case as long as you are confident that you wont forget your gcse maths and that you'll be able to remember basic things like all your algebra, trig and graph interpretation then you'll be good.
Thank you! I'm confident now that people have reassured me.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly I wouldn't place too much hope in your physics teacher being able to teach the maths required. Most of the time our physics is teacher is like "you've done this in maths right" are we're like yep and we get taught the physics thing using that maths. At the start of the course we jumped right resolving vectors and equilibrium and honestly I had no clue what was going on. Thank god we covered the same things as a part of mechanics. You might be lucky and have a better teacher than me though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads