thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I just did my GCSEs, and I selected my A Levels, from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science. I intend on doing CompSci/Engineering at a RG university, and I would love to try and go for Cambridge with hard work. However I believed I wouldn't get a high enough grade in Maths at GCSE to do it at A Level, so Further Maths initially wasn't available to me to take, but I have the capacity to change the A Levels now. I was just wondering if it's worth it, if it was possible to get in with just normal Maths (at say A*A*A*, hypothetically), and what workload is like.

Would it be possible to self-study it at home instead?

If you're wondering what my GCSEs were like:
9, 8, 8 in Eng Lit, Lang, and Maths respectively, A* in Chemistry, As in everything else.
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If ur proposing to do 5 a levels i would say no
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Otherwise u are gonna have to make a decision as to whether u want to do engineering or comp sci and drop one subject to accomodate further maths.

As a frther maths student who wants to do engineering i can say that i really enjoy it but it is a lot of hard work.

Hoenstly have a look at the courses that u may want to apply for. Some may say they want further maths whilst others say it is preferred.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
100% switch one of your subjects for further maths but it doesn't really matter which honestly.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Actually if you want to keep engineering open you obviously need to keep physics. You don't need computer science a-level to do computer science at most top unis so it might be an idea to keep chemistry as you are obviously fairly good at it.
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AryanGh)
Hi, I just did my GCSEs, and I selected my A Levels, from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science. I intend on doing CompSci/Engineering at a RG university, and I would love to try and go for Cambridge with hard work. However I believed I wouldn't get a high enough grade in Maths at GCSE to do it at A Level, so Further Maths initially wasn't available to me to take, but I have the capacity to change the A Levels now. I was just wondering if it's worth it, if it was possible to get in with just normal Maths (at say A*A*A*, hypothetically), and what workload is like.

Would it be possible to self-study it at home instead?

If you're wondering what my GCSEs were like:
9, 8, 8 in Eng Lit, Lang, and Maths respectively, A* in Chemistry, As in everything else.
Not worth doing FM as not needed but you could self teach. I don't know if you just meant maths or all your subjects but you definitely can't self teach chemistry
thotproduct
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Reece.W.J)
Not worth doing FM as not needed but you could self teach. I don't know if you just meant maths or all your subjects but you definitely can't self teach chemistry
I meant specifically the self-study of FM
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AryanGh)
I meant specifically the self-study of FM
Yeah you should be fine
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reece.W.J)
Further maths is highly desirable for computer science at top unis like cambridge.
osamabinfishing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Swap out Computer Science for Further Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads