The Student Room Group

I want to drop out of uni but I feel trapped.

I'm currently studying Midwifery and, as lovely as the course may sound, I've realised it's not for me. I'm technically 7 months into my course but back in April something unfortunate happened which meant I had to take a couple of months off. Before then, I had a 6-week placement on a labour ward and, upon reflection, I've realised that midwifery is definitely not for me. I wasn't happy/motivated on the ward or in lectures, I found myself counting down the hours the second I entered the building and at every birth I personally delivered, I felt absolutely nothing. I feel trapped though as our financial situation is not the best. We're basically living off the bursary money (£500 per month) which doesn't get very far and we find ourselves not eating at all some days and living off 1 meal per day on other days. Because of my situation, I had to take medical leave which means I'm still claiming the money yet I cannot get a job as it's actually illegal to claim sickness for one thing, but work another job. If I were to drop out now, we'd lose the money and our house as it'll take me ages to find a job due to lack of experience. This has taken a massive toll on my mental health and I honestly don't know how to tell my parents, they will not be happy at all.

I seriously don't know what to do anymore.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Novak2
I'm currently studying Midwifery and, as lovely as the course may sound, I've realised it's not for me. I'm technically 7 months into my course but back in April something unfortunate happened which meant I had to take a couple of months off. Before then, I had a 6-week placement on a labour ward and, upon reflection, I've realised that midwifery is definitely not for me. I wasn't happy/motivated on the ward or in lectures, I found myself counting down the hours the second I entered the building and at every birth I personally delivered, I felt absolutely nothing. I feel trapped though as our financial situation is not the best. We're basically living off the bursary money (£500 per month) which doesn't get very far and we find ourselves not eating at all some days and living off 1 meal per day on other days. Because of my situation, I had to take medical leave which means I'm still claiming the money yet I cannot get a job as it's actually illegal to claim sickness for one thing, but work another job. If I were to drop out now, we'd lose the money and our house as it'll take me ages to find a job due to lack of experience. This has taken a massive toll on my mental health and I honestly don't know how to tell my parents, they will not be happy at all.

I seriously don't know what to do anymore.

It seems a whole lot more complicated and you really need to go and speak to a welfare adviser.

Issue 1 the course.

You are under extreme conditions so its not clear if its a genuine disinterest in the course. If so you could drop out or find an alternative course to transfer to that is linked or even one that is completely different . Obviously this is more complicated if its your second degree. If its not for you its not for you, but do consider whether you outside stress is making you feel this way.

You can talk to the RCN helpline.

Issue 2 your financial situation.

Contact student welfare or go and see CAB. Your finances sound a mess and need sorting out. You can also contact the student hardship fund to see if theres any support where. You need a clear picture of whats happening financially and to be able to tell that to others. CAB and Step Change are options.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/
https://www.stepchange.org/Contactus.aspx

Also about your accommodation
https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Student welfare should also help.

RCM should have local reps. Talk to them about your situation.

https://www.rcm.org.uk/workplace-support/representation-and-support

Someone really needs to see you in person so they can go through everything and identify all the issues. Chin up its all solvable you need to get help. Only tell your supervisor when you are ready or at least have some preliminary advice.

Go and get advice. Its hard to offer much as its clear you need to be interviewed. It can all be sorted out though and if its your first degree then you can study something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending