What is Classical Civilisation A level like?

Watch
Faz2154
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm considering doing this subject at A level and was wondering how similar it is to English literature? Is it easier? Does it require advanced analysis of the books and plays or is it more basic?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Faz2154)
I'm considering doing this subject at A level and was wondering how similar it is to English literature? Is it easier? Does it require advanced analysis of the books and plays or is it more basic?
It depends on the syllabus. Go and have a look. There tend to be three elements and each with different options emphasising different aspects.

Literature. Novels, plays and poets. They are integral to Greek or Roman society at the time so there is always a lot of underlying meaning. I would say the understanding is different and no less in depth or complex.

History- Stuff about ancient civilisations. Society, historical events etc. This complements the literature.

Languages. Depending on the syllabus then it could have a language component studying either Greek or Latin.

Its a lot of fun.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A subject fit for Kings.

Do you have any background in Latin and/or Greek? Or even French would help. I'm not sure of the exact specifications, but obviously ancient languages are going to be helpful.

It's a very noble subject to study, in my opinion. There's a reason why we're still studying these civilisations two-thousand-odd years on - because they last.
Faz2154
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
A subject fit for Kings.

Do you have any background in Latin and/or Greek? Or even French would help. I'm not sure of the exact specifications, but obviously ancient languages are going to be helpful.

It's a very noble subject to study, in my opinion. There's a reason why we're still studying these civilisations two-thousand-odd years on - because they last.
I know a bit of French but I was told at the beginning of the course the teacher assumes we know very little about the ancient world so I think I'll be able to do good even without background knowledge of Latin
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know a bit of French but I was told at the beginning of the course the teacher assumes we know very little about the ancient world so I think I'll be able to do good even without background knowledge of Latin
You'll be fine then. So long as you're interested in history and culture more generally, such as literature, art, institutions etc, you should find it extremely interesting.
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The syllabus for Classical Civilisation requires no knowledge of ancient languages for the sake of accessibility to state school student - don't worry! The new spec starts this year, I don't know what it's going to be like, but I find it pretty much the same as English Lit in terms of difficulty. The difference is that the major barrier for Lit is understanding the high level stuff - for Classics, the barrier is breaking into understanding in the first place.

Don't look at it like you would Lit, with individual word analysis - I don't know if they've changed it, but until now it has been closed book. This means you spend a lot of time remembering the order in which things happen, what is happening, and examples of specific themes to use in an exam. There are also lots of key words that will be unfamiliar to you, but you can also use any Lit knowledge you already have.
Eleanor1999
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just done my As level year and I had no experience about the ancient world at all and I loved it! I would say it's slightly easier than English and there's not really any major analysis of techniques in quotes etc if that's what you mean
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
12.12%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
30.3%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
9.09%
No, I haven't received any communication (16)
48.48%

Watched Threads