Is this a good Application/ CV for top universities

Watch
Abis19060
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
ok. so I'm starting AS level with subjects physics, Maths and Computer Science. I want to do BA Computer Science from a good university. I have no worthwhile extracurricular activities or achievements so far apart from 8 straight A's at Olevel (6 A* and 2 A)
I'm planning to work extra hard to utilize all the opportunities my school will provide me with during the two Alevel years so I can build a scholarship worthy CV.
Will the following make a decent CV. hopefully i can get this far in two years. :
-8 straight A's at OLevel
-3 A/A* at Alevel
-Decent SAT scores
-Certificate for being active member of WWF
-Spreading awareness among community for WWF
-certificate of good achievement in IKMC or IKLC
-participation and management of MUN
-participation in international Olympiad
-Active Management of Literature Club during Alevel
and
certificates for playing badminton, participation in speech competitions during the course of Olevels.

please suggest anything more I can do to strengthen my CV. I dont do sports now
MonsoonStorm
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
A*'s at "O level"?
Abis19060
Rep:
yes
MonsoonStorm
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
There were no A*'s for O-Levels?
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MonsoonStorm)
A*'s at "O level"?
A few commonwealth countries still use O' levels.

OP, I don't think you should give up on sport altogether. Academics are important, but extracurriculars are too, not just for your university applications but also for your general health and wellbeing.
Abis19060
Rep:
A* at OLevel started in 2013 I think. But its true you can Google it. I do cycling for health but that can't go into CV can it? so would my CV be good enough the way I stated it above?
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Abis19060)
A* at OLevel started in 2013 I think. But its true you can Google it. I do cycling for health but that can't go into CV can it? so would my CV be good enough the way I stated it above?
Of course it can! Anything that you do that you enjoy can be mentioned. Ideally you wouldn't just state that you do it, you would also turn this into a statement about how this had helped you to 'grow' in some way.

Certainly in the UK, for Oxford or Cambridge they are only interested in academics, but for other universities who are renowned for IT such as Bristol, Manchester, Southampton, they are interested to hear in your personal statement about everything that you are about (including why you want to study overseas).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (62)
22.3%
Note taking apps (6)
2.16%
Flashcards (52)
18.71%
Revision guides (16)
5.76%
Past papers (131)
47.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (11)
3.96%

Watched Threads