Panda101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Would universities consider a 5 a low B?
And would that be seen as a minimum entry requirement?
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Panda101)
More like a high C. No, most universities consider grade 5 as a C.
♥Samantha♥
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
High C / Low B. Whether universities which require B at GCSE in certain subjects (e.g. English or Maths) will now require 5 or 6 may differ by university. I checked the UCL website and they say for courses requiring a B they will expect a grade 6. On the LSE website they say for courses requiring a B they expect a minimum grade 5, but that they may raise this to grade 6. So I would say my best guess is that most universities, at least the more competitive ones, will see a 5 as a C by the time you apply.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
High C / Low B. Whether universities which require B at GCSE in certain subjects (e.g. English or Maths) will now require 5 or 6 may differ by university. I checked the UCL website and they say for courses requiring a B they will expect a grade 6. On the LSE website they say for courses requiring a B they expect a minimum grade 5, but that they may raise this to grade 6. So I would say my best guess is that most universities, at least the more competitive ones, will see a 5 as a C by the time you apply.
Really? I checked several courses for UCL and they all say that you require a grade 5 at English.
♥Samantha♥
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
Really? I checked several courses for UCL and they all say that you require a grade 5 at English.
Yes those would b courses which require a C at GCSE, not a B. OP is asking whether a 5 would b seen as a B or a C http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...s/a-level-gcse
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes those would b courses which require a C at GCSE, not a B. OP is asking whether a 5 would b seen as a B or a C http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...s/a-level-gcse
Fair enough.
Panda101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I got a 5 in maths and a 9 in English Lang and I'm planning to apply to medicine but tht 5 is holding me back
But there are some unis like Sheffield and Durham that require a 4/c min in maths so I'm gonna apply to them but I'll need to work real hard in my a levels
I'm trying not to stress about it because if I do I'll only get worse
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Panda101)
5 is high C
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The whole numerical system is a complete utter shambles!

The grade system now says both a 7+8 are the A equivalent and 4+5 are a low and high C!

Total tosh! How on earth is that helpful to students and more importantly employers who now have to consider that several numbers can indeed be the same grade in the old alphabet system of A-E. it's ludicrous and needs scrapping. Businesses have already indicated their total dislike of this numeric system.

The 2017 student cohort have my sympathy as they have some subjects in numerical grade and others in alphabetical order. It's a complete mess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads