Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone go to the SOAS. I want to apply there myself and am wondering what you make of life there. Seems like the coolest uni to go to in the UK. Has it got good prospects though? Its always rated highly in the tables apart from employment propects.

Cheers all.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Even if you just went to the open day?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you'll have great prospects if you go there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. But how come the guardian and "table of tables" suggest that youll have bad job prospects?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent uni and easily deserves a top 5 uni ranking. It's the best institution in the UK if you are interested in African or Asian cultures. I wanted to apply there via Clearing but they ran out of spaces quick and my grades weren't sufficient enough (missed out by a few measly marks). Anyways, I have secured a place at another top London uni so it wasn't all bad.

ReputationRep:
    Cool. So you think its worth applying for Politics & Economics? I know its really down to personal opinion but where would everyone choose out of SOAS and Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Cool. So you think its worth applying for Politics & Economics? I know its really down to personal opinion but where would everyone choose out of SOAS and Manchester?
    yep great choice, especially if you have an interest in Asia/Africa/Middle East.

I would also pick SOAS over Manchester.

just be aware there will be heaps of bogans and lots of pot at SOAS but that may be its appeal to you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of dope? Sign me up now!

Seriously though, I've read around and ive heard some bad rumours such as:

* No mixing between certain races (which I found pretty strange considering the place it is!)

* M15 looking for islamic extremists :eek:

* And the islington site attracting loads of drug dealers. Is this where they do politics and economics?

Cheers all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Anyone? Even if you just went to the open day?
    I'll be going there in a few weeks time to study Economics.
    I like the way it attracts students from so many different backgrounds and is also highly rated internationally.

I also got an offer from Manchester but chose to go to SOAS instead because the course is much more interesting and I think it'll give me a better uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *boo*)
    I'll be going there in a few weeks time to study Economics.
    I like the way it attracts students from so many different backgrounds and is also highly rated internationally.

I also got an offer from Manchester but chose to go to SOAS instead because the course is much more interesting and I think it'll give me a better uni experience.
    Could you post in here or pm me after youve been to give everyone a better idea of the place. Thatd be great. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Could you post in here or pm me after youve been to give everyone a better idea of the place. Thatd be great. Cheers.
    Yeah, sure. Hopefully I'll like it.
    Are you studying for A2s at the moment?
    What other universities are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. About to start second year. Going to apply to:

* Edinburgh (philosophy and economics)

* Manchester (P,P,E) (what did you apply to manchester for?)

* Birmingham (Economics/Political Science)

* Bath (Politics with economics)

* Sheffield (Economcs and Philosophy)

Wanted to apply to St Andrews but I it'd too quiet for me there and not sure whether Id really get on with the majority people that go there from what I've heard. Where else did you consider going apart from SOAS and Manchester?

To be honest I think Im leaning towards manchester more because of the social life and some of those bizarre rumours about SOAS above.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Yeah. About to start second year. Going to apply to:

* Edinburgh (philosophy and economics)

* Manchester (P,P,E) (what did you apply to manchester for?)

* Birmingham (Economics/Political Science)

* Bath (Politics with economics)

* Sheffield (Economcs and Philosophy)

Wanted to apply to St Andrews but I it'd too quiet for me there and not sure whether Id really get on with the majority people that go there from what I've heard. Where else did you consider going apart from SOAS and Manchester?

To be honest I think Im leaning towards manchester more because of the social life and some of those bizarre rumours about SOAS above.

Cheers.

Good uni choices.
    I applied to study Economics at Manchester. Also applied to liverpool, leeds and ucl.

Yeah, If you're not really interested in Asia/Africa then Manchester is probably better for you.

I'm also a bit worried about some of the foreign students at SOAS not wanting to mix with other students but I'm sure there will be loads of other nice, friendly ppl there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Lots of dope? Sign me up now!

Seriously though, I've read around and ive heard some bad rumours such as:

* No mixing between certain races (which I found pretty strange considering the place it is!)

* M15 looking for islamic extremists :eek:

* And the islington site attracting loads of drug dealers. Is this where they do politics and economics?

Cheers all.
    the no mixing between certain races is harldy a SOAS only phenomena. compared to other uni's you can be sure SOAS has plenty of mixing going on.

are you an islamic extremist? if not then why are you worried? the security services and FCO use SOAS a lot for language/cultural training so its to be expected they'll be around anyway.

true about the drugs, buts its the SOAS students rather than the site that attracts them, thats why i said be prepared for lots of weed and what have you. you can always hang out at the ULU centre which is closeby too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queef Monket)
    are you an islamic extremist? if not then why are you worried?
    Well I dont think many people would wanna be around extremists!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Anyone go to the SOAS. I want to apply there myself and am wondering what you make of life there. Seems like the coolest uni to go to in the UK. Has it got good prospects though? Its always rated highly in the tables apart from employment propects.

Cheers all.
    my brother went - he loved it. made some really great friends. he did politics and development studies, and was most taken with the multi-cultural mix and high percentage of international students (and the fact they gave out samosas on their open day!) what do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    my brother went - he loved it. made some really great friends. he did politics and development studies, and was most taken with the multi-cultural mix and high percentage of international students (and the fact they gave out samosas on their open day!) what do you want to do?
    Politics and economics mate. Is your brother doing further study or working now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic XXX)
    Er, no.
    Opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Politics and economics mate. Is your brother doing further study or working now?
    He got a first in his degree, afterwards he went to edinburgh to do his masters in a similar area, but focussing on african politics. he then got a job working for some computer doodah, and he's been working at LSE for hte last couple of years. part of his job was that he could do any course there he wanted for free but being a picky ******* he didn't "fancy" any - so he took his maths a level over hte last couple of years and now he's about to start a second masters at Sussex in artificial intelligence, hoping to do a Phd at UCL after that!

to conclude: i think SOAS sets you up pretty well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic XXX)
    That's just your opinion.
    Quite.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.