The Student Room Group

A-level biology or physics for Chemical Engineering?

Before I start sixth form in september, I want to be sure I have selected the right A-levels to study Chemical Engineering. I have already selected Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science...just unsure about the fourth subject...

Also, which one is harder?
Reply 1
Original post by social_chemist
Before I start sixth form in september, I want to be sure I have selected the right A-levels to study Chemical Engineering. I have already selected Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science...just unsure about the fourth subject...

physics is better for chem eng. and both physics and chem are hard, I'm pretty sure with bio you have to hit the mark scheme specifically but with physics the questions can be really hard to interpret
Reply 2

Physics will be more useful for ChemEng. Some people say Biology is really hard.
I want to do chemical engineering too!
Pick physics as that is really the fundamental science for an engineering course
Original post by aggressively
I want to do chemical engineering too!
Pick physics as that is really the fundamental science for an engineering course

What A-levels are you doing?

After what people said about chemical engineering, it seems to be the best to take physics, as this study consists of physical aspects and lessons a lot. But this one was the hardest A level I have ever taken, and I know what I am talking about, as I had triple science.
What A-levels are you doing?

I'm taking maths, physics, chemistry and government and politics
But I intend to drop gov and politics at the end of year 12

I'd say choose physics
Reply 8
Id choose physics but its arguably the hardest a level subject in my eyes
Reply 9
Hi there!

This may help..............

A level requirements
BBB including Mathematics and at least one from Chemistry (preferred), Biology, Computer Science, Digital Technology, Geography, ICT (not Applied), Physics, Technology and Design or Double Award Applied Science.

Note
Applicants not offering Chemistry or Physics at A-level should have a minimum of either a grade C in GCSE Chemistry and Physics or GCSE Double Award Science grades CC.

..................Some courses include units on physics 'type' topics....I'd strongly advise physics. A good GCSE in physics will provide suitable indication of your ability in that subject, if you have done well then go for it! Your mathematics will support and/or aid the physics.

Good Luck!
Both are theoretically viable - but more courses require or prefer Physics, and it's probably more useful general background if they don't (unless it's specifically a biochemical engineering or biotechnology type courses). For courses at e.g. UCL and Cambridge where there can be a fair bit of biochemical content, Physics is still probably the better option as they will account for the fact few will have biology and teach the relevant material from the ground up.

I would recommend Further Maths over CS however. Chem Eng is definitely one of the more mathematically intensive Engineering disciplines (at uni, at least) so it's much more useful background. You'll get some programming training in any half decent engineering department anyway, so CS is not particularly beneficial in that regard - and you may get lower offers if you take FM, as icing on the top.

Also for Cambridge NatSci Chem Eng, you can take the Biology of Cells without A-level Biology - A-level Chemistry is the only requirement. Whether you should is another matter, that one of the resident NatScis may be able to comment on if they so choose :tongue:
Original post by MRDONK3Y
Id choose physics but its arguably the hardest a level subject in my eyes

Not only in your view, but also in mine. In terms of scientific subjects it is the hardest at least.

Physics is more useful than biology (and computer science) for engineering. Much of the content of an engineering degree, such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, etc. is essentially a discipline of physics (although taught in a way to make it more relevant to engineering specific problems).

Quick Reply

Latest