The Student Room Group

BBC launches "Pidgin" service for Nigerians

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin

.....this is satire, right?

Scroll to see replies

No.
We're the most cucked country in Europe right now.

Our ancestors would purge the BBC and traitors if they saw what we've become, and at good speed too.
Reply 2
LOOOOOOL love this

Best one by far
https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/41054401
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
A business making choices about who they want to appeal to, oh the HORROR.
Original post by Wōden

I thought it was satire too...

Must be expensive to hire translators/journalists for this niche language. I'd like to see how it is funded.
The irony is that its right wing tools like you who call the left "triggered".
Looool :rofl:. Funny thing is, it's actually so accurate, like I understand all of it. :rofl:. Google did it first though, search up Google pidgin
(edited 6 years ago)
Sadly it isn't.

The BBC has become beyond parody...
I'm not really sure what the issue is. If the service is available in other languages then there's no real problem.

Pidgin English is not English as such; it's English lexis with the grammar of Nigerian languages. It's the first language of many people in Nigeria.

Don't think of it as broken English; think of it as a language that happens to resemble English.

I do Linguistics at uni and we did a bit on pidgins and creoles in first year.

As for the BBC site, I actually find it really interesting to look through. :smile:
https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-40997001

I saw this one on facebook a while ago and it is actual comedy gold.

but na for inside bush she dey poopoo.

I don't know what people can be mad about, it's by far the best thing the BBC's ever done.
Wetin be di matter na? I no know wetin do you, why you dey vex? Sebi you no like change? Na so? Dat is wetin e be like say o. E be for di people who dey from Nigeria, I no know why it do you anytin.
Original post by AnnieGakusei

Don't think of it as broken English; think of it as a language that happens to resemble English.

Why would we want to think of it in completely counterfactual terms? It is broken English. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but let's call it what it is.

Personally I have no objection if this helps the BBC penetrate particular African markets better. Brings in more profit for the BBC and spreads British cultural influence a little more.

Obviously this move does nothing to damage the status of standard English in trade, diplomacy, or any other sphere.
Original post by Wōden

Looked at your post history. You are a terrible racist.

How does this in any way affect you?....It doesnt. Obvs the BBC felt there was a need for this service thats why they created it.

You racists you just love to sit on your keyboard and harp on about white genocide nonsense, and frame anything that benefits POC as an attack on white people and cry wolf about the world hates white people now.
As a Nigerian Pidgin is all right when it is spoken like slang but when they put in writing for important news stories its retarded most Nigerians who go to school are capable of reading the full English abc not this broken nonsense. If they want to appeal to Nigerians they should write in yourba igbo or Hausa
ITT: Triggered right wingers.

BBC's choice to put up a different language (as they've done for multiple ones prior to this). If they see a genuine benefit of doing so, then by all means they should.
Reply 15
Original post by InDeathIsLife
Looked at your post history. You are a terrible racist.

How does this in any way affect you?....It doesnt. Obvs the BBC felt there was a need for this service thats why they created it.

You racists you just love to sit on your keyboard and harp on about white genocide nonsense, and frame anything that benefits POC as an attack on white people and cry wolf about the world hates white people now.

I care about my own ethnic stock and it's future. Is that so terrible?

And I'm really not as bothered by this move by the BBC as you seem to think I am, I just found it somewhat bemusing. It certainly doesn't affect me, I'm not a licence fee payer.
Ethnic stock lmao. What's funny is you're a middle class white skinny neo nazi loser, the type Hitler would have viewed as Untermensch :rofl: And we both know what happens to der untermensch don't we :h:
The BBC - ALWAYS pandering to the lowest common denominator. :facepalm:
Original post by Asolare
A business making choices about who they want to appeal to, oh the HORROR.

The BBC is not a business. It is a publicly funded organisation which enforces payment by threats of prison.

Nice to know it isn't spunking away all those pensioner licence fees on a pointless project probably read by about fifteen people worldwide.
Ahh people getting triggered. It's weird as maybe a century ago a lot of these countries that we're being "cucked by" Brits invaded. What goes around, comes around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending