The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE results :(

im so depressed and been crying for soo long because of my grade in my gcse, i really wanted to go to a russel group universty and that is my dream. These grades have really shook me and i was wondering if i got amazing grades in A level would i be able to get into a good universty (for e.g A*A*A in A levels). This is what i got in my gcse :frown:
Maths - grade 4
english lit - grade 5
english lang - grade 5
r.e - C
additional science - B
core science - B
ICT (Cambridge Nationals) - Distinction*
Further Additional Science - C
Geography - C
Computer Science - C

please tell me i can get into a great uni if i absolutely SMASH a levels
Your A level results matter more. Most Russell Groups (perhaps excluding Oxbridge) only require a 4 in English/Maths which you have achieved. Just work hard in your A levels and you will be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by thegalaxy
Your A level results matter more. Most Russell Groups (perhaps excluding Oxbridge) only require a 4 in English/Maths which you have achieved. Just work hard in your A levels and you will be fine.

Thank you it really helps, ive been stressing soo much
Original post by Zadaln123
im so depressed and been crying for soo long because of my grade in my gcse, i really wanted to go to a russel group universty and that is my dream. These grades have really shook me and i was wondering if i got amazing grades in A level would i be able to get into a good universty (for e.g A*A*A in A levels). This is what i got in my gcse :frown:
Maths - grade 4
english lit - grade 5
english lang - grade 5
r.e - C
additional science - B
core science - B
ICT (Cambridge Nationals) - Distinction*
Further Additional Science - C
Geography - C
Computer Science - C

please tell me i can get into a great uni if i absolutely SMASH a levels

You have most definitely not done badly at GCSE, you have managed to get good passes C+ in all of your subjects so you should be proud of yourself. It can be pretty disheartening seeing others grades on TSR but don't be deflated by them, they are not representative of the student population as a whole.

You can definitely get into a good RG uni if you work hard at A Level. What are you thinking of studying? You might want to consider resitting your GCSE maths alongside your A Levels as it wouldn't hurt your application to bump that up by a grade or two.
Reply 4
Original post by Phoenix_96
You have most definitely not done badly at GCSE, you have managed to get good passes C+ in all of your subjects so you should be proud of yourself. It can be pretty disheartening seeing others grades on TSR but don't be deflated by them, they are not representative of the student population as a whole.

You can definitely get into a good RG uni if you work hard at A Level. What are you thinking of studying? You might want to consider resitting your GCSE maths alongside your A Levels as it wouldn't hurt your application to bump that up by a grade or two.

i am looking to study Economics, Business and Psychology at A level , and would love to study economics/business degree at a great uni
Original post by Zadaln123
i am looking to study Economics, Business and Psychology at A level , and would love to study economics/business degree at a great uni

Good luck! You can do it! I would definitely advise retaking your GCSE maths if you want to study Economics. Many universities will accept you without A Level Maths but will require a high GCSE grade in Maths. Most Post-16 institutions will allow you to resit your GCSE Maths alongside your Level 3 programme so definitely look into this.
Reply 6
Original post by Phoenix_96
Good luck! You can do it! I would definitely advise retaking your GCSE maths if you want to study Economics. Many universities will accept you without A Level Maths but will require a high GCSE grade in Maths. Most Post-16 institutions will allow you to resit your GCSE Maths alongside your Level 3 programme so definitely look into this.

Thank you i will look into resitting but apparently you can only do it if u get below grade C, but for now i will listen to your advice and SMASH A levels ( i have already started revising in my summer holidays for a levels lool) aiming for atleast 2A* 1A
For sure. You haven't failed anything!

Quick Reply

Latest