The Student Room Group

Help on A Level Choices (Bio, Physics, Psychology)

Hi,

So I feel really unsure of what to do in sixth form but I know I definately want to take Biology and Psychology. I also really like Physics but people are saying that it's nothing like GCSE, but I don't know what else to pick. The typical choices for a psychology degree are biology, psychology and maths from what I know, but there's just no way that I'd be able to do maths. I only got a 5 and I was wondering if that would put me at a disadvantage still doing physics.

I am going to take core maths though so if I work really hard at it will it be okay? Some people said it's only rearranging equations and putting numbers in, so I'm not really sure.

I didn't get amazing GCSE results but I have extenuating circumstances which brought my results down. They're average and okay I guess, just nothing amazing. During mocks I got mid/high all B's in the exception of two A's in Physics and Biology, I really like those two subjects. I know I could have easily gotten all A's with just a bit of work, but a lot of serious things happened.

I also thought that if I ended up getting really, really good results I could maybe go for NatSci if possible. But yeah. I'm curious to hearing people's opinions on my options?
Reply 1
Original post by xCaHx
Hi,

So I feel really unsure of what to do in sixth form but I know I definately want to take Biology and Psychology. I also really like Physics but people are saying that it's nothing like GCSE, but I don't know what else to pick. The typical choices for a psychology degree are biology, psychology and maths from what I know, but there's just no way that I'd be able to do maths. I only got a 5 and I was wondering if that would put me at a disadvantage still doing physics.

I am going to take core maths though so if I work really hard at it will it be okay? Some people said it's only rearranging equations and putting numbers in, so I'm not really sure.

I didn't get amazing GCSE results but I have extenuating circumstances which brought my results down. They're average and okay I guess, just nothing amazing. During mocks I got mid/high all B's in the exception of two A's in Physics and Biology, I really like those two subjects. I know I could have easily gotten all A's with just a bit of work, but a lot of serious things happened.

I also thought that if I ended up getting really, really good results I could maybe go for NatSci if possible. But yeah. I'm curious to hearing people's opinions on my options?

Lots of students who do psychology at uni didn't take maths A Level, two science subjects (including psychology) is usually expected, but you should have a look around at potential universities to see what they are asking for. Taking a maths module wouldn't really be necessary and it's one of the most difficult subjects so if you don't think you're very good at it then it's probably best to avoid it.

As far as I know, NatSci is very different to psychology. I would recommend you to take A Level choices that keep your options open and then go to some open days and subject talks so you can get a real taste of the courses you could be doing.
Original post by xCaHx
Hi,

If you like physics do that. It's a lot more maths heavy than the gcse

Quick Reply