The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances?

Hi Everyone,
Was just wandering what counts as having an extenuating circumstance? Please provide examples as that would better my understanding. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by People's Guy
Hi Everyone,
Was just wandering what counts as having an extenuating circumstance? Please provide examples as that would better my understanding. Thanks.

It is a situation outside of your control which im Educational terms may affect performance in exams.
For example if you lost a close family member right before your exams, examination boards have a responsibility to take that in mind when they're deciding on a grade.

I think for GCSEs you can get up to 5% of the marks for an extenuating circumstance or if you can't make the exam (like for a funeral or operation) they will look at the other grades you achieved in that subject and make a decision.

Hope this helps!!
Original post by People's Guy
Hi Everyone,

If you were kicked out of home
Family died
Cancer
Reply 3
I think you are asking about special consideration. This is when something happens over or near the period of exams which affects your performance. It does not cover long term conditions or something that affected your ability to study during the course unless something specific also happens at the time of the exams. Reasons for special consideration include:

Illness

Close relation being seriously ill or dying

Domestic crisis - but not a planned upheaval such as a house move

Significant disruption in the exam hall - e.g. candidate having epileptic fit

Injury

Quick Reply

Latest