Second Degree

Watch this thread
newartriot86
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I'm a Scottish Student and I finished a degree in Nursing (mental health) 2yrs ago. I have persisted with this but I am really unhappy in the job and have always aspired to study Psychology and pursue a career as a Psychologist. I would like to apply to study a second degree but I've no idea about funding and tuition that I would receive.
Thanks

Nick
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
A conversion course may be your best bet in this case, although you would only get a postgraduate loan if it was a Masters rather than a Postgraduate Diploma
Cathrela
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I agree with bones - a conversion course such as http://www.stir.ac.uk/postgraduate/p...gy/psychology/ - might be your best bet. I think you should have a good grounding already with your mental health nursing degree.

Unfortunately I have no idea about funding -- I know you can get a postgraduate loan in England, but not sure about Scotland
username2130115
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If you want to be a psychologist you'd have to do a clinical psychology doctorate and those are very competitive.
Cathrela
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Not strictly true - there are many different areas of psychology and many different ways of getting there. I'm guessing the OP wants to be a clinical psychologist (due to MH nursing), in which case I'd say their experience and first degree would make them a very competitive candidate.
newartriot86
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you for all the replies! I've e-mailed a few universities to see where I stand as an adult returner. I can keep working as a nurse part time to fund my studies so it would be more about where I would apply and who would accept me. By the time of application I would be 3 years qualified and started the course 4 years. So I hope this would stand me in good stead in terms of professional experience.

Thanks again

Nick
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (50)
30.12%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (73)
43.98%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (41)
24.7%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.2%

Watched Threads