Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a really good idea, its about time we had some proper longitudinal research into the causes of breast cancer.

Head here for more info on how to take part- http://www.breakthroughgenerations.org.uk

Must be over 18 though... and female obviously, before anyone makes any smart comments :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by rednirt)
    and female obviously, before anyone makes any smart comments :rolleyes:
    Why? Men can get breast cancer too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    Why? Men can get breast cancer too
    yes, but the study is of women, adding the extremely rare male breast cancer to the mix wouldn't aid the study as obvioulsy different factprs are involved (i.e. no use of female pill, lower levels of female hormones etc).

I simply added the fact that it was just for women because otherwise it leaves the door open to some immature males declaring they'd want to take part etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    just check you balls in the shower every moring guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    I think this is a really good idea, its about time we had some proper longitudinal research into the causes of breast cancer.

Head here for more info on how to take part- http://www.breakthroughgenerations.org.uk

Must be over 18 though... and female obviously, before anyone makes any smart comments :rolleyes:
    Male breast cancer is becoming a big killer due to the lack of information available. I think it's a shame they're not including men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Male breast cancer is becoming a big killer due to the lack of information available. I think it's a shame they're not including men.
    But the whole point of this research is to find the cause of breast cancer....no-one knows why its caused and as it could be caused by different things in men and women including men would mean that the results would be inconclusive. Investigating into male breast cancer is also important but it should be investigated but using only men...then the results of the 2 investigations could be compared and it could be seen if the causes were the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woox)
    But the whole point of this research is to find the cause of breast cancer....no-one knows why its caused and as it could be caused by different things in men and women including men would mean that the results would be inconclusive. Investigating into male breast cancer is also important but it should be investigated but using only men...then the results of the 2 investigations could be compared and it could be seen if the causes were the same
    They will catagorise the results anyway (based on age, menopause, pill, etc), so factoring men into the study wouldn't be difficult. I know, I've done similar stuff in my brief foray into post-doctoral science! I'm betting they just didn't consider it until it was too late.

I also think that their statement about male breast cancer being too rare to bother with is reckless!

ReputationRep:
    Its funny, in canada, breast cancer is the popular cancer (gets most donations and media attention) while prostate cancer, hardly gets any attention.

o well, who needs old men i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braders89)
    just check you balls in the shower every moring guys
    Is that what we call it these days ?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.