What is the new reformed Maths A-Level like?

Watch
username3274452
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm taking A-Level Maths, starting September, in conjunction with Biology, Chemistry and Physics... any advice? Also what do you guys think of it? BTW, I am on OCR
Eulogy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's really heavily problem-solving + modelling based (similar to the new 9-1 GCSE maths). So don't expect to just be memorising and applying methods like the old A Level maths was. There's also no optional components for the Maths A Level (there are optional stuff for the Further Maths though). It means you will have to do a little bit of statistics and mechanics. I think the biggest shake-up would be that for the statistical portion of the exams, you'll be required to be knowledgable about a certain large dataset of numbers. For edexcel, it's the temperature and weather of certain locations around the world everyday for like a year or two. I'm not sure what OCR are doing.

Maths teachers at my school said they like it, because you get to do more interesting stats/mech in the Maths A Level, whereas before the interesting stuff would be stuck up at M3 / S3. OCR is also not a very common exam board for maths (or is it OCR MEI?)
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Eulogy)
It's really heavily problem-solving + modelling based (similar to the new 9-1 GCSE maths). So don't expect to just be memorising and applying methods like the old A Level maths was. There's also no optional components for the Maths A Level (there are optional stuff for the Further Maths though). It means you will have to do a little bit of statistics and mechanics. I think the biggest shake-up would be that for the statistical portion of the exams, you'll be required to be knowledgable about a certain large dataset of numbers. For edexcel, it's the temperature and weather of certain locations around the world everyday for like a year or two. I'm not sure what OCR are doing.

Maths teachers at my school said they like it, because you get to do more interesting stats/mech in the Maths A Level, whereas before the interesting stuff would be stuck up at M3 / S3. OCR is also not a very common exam board for maths (or is it OCR MEI?)
OCR do two specs - A and B (which is the MEI spec). My school does MEI for the old spec but they haven't told us what board they're using for the new spec. I do know that Statistics and Mechanics are mandatory now and were optional under the old spec.
Eulogy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thegalaxy)
OCR do two specs - A and B (which is the MEI spec). My school does MEI for the old spec but they haven't told us what board they're using for the new spec. I do know that Statistics and Mechanics are mandatory now and were optional under the old spec.
I know that MEI has a strange layout of the papers with Paper 3 all about mathematical logic/ modelling / problem solving with a strange name. At least I think it's MEI, it was one of the rarer exam boards.
username3274452
Rep:
?

Thank you so much for your reply! I think my exam board is OCR MEI/ OCR B. I got an 8 in GCSE maths, but I am just scared that I will not understand....are the concepts hard to understand? Also, do you have any resources you would recommend for the new spec?
Thanks again!
username3274452
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegalaxy)
Thank you for your reply!!
username3312304
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Is it really that much more problem solving as I don't really like that. I got an 8 at gcse but is the new spec a lot harder or would you be able to Still achieve the grade you want equally as the old spec.
Eulogy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by y-star7)
Is it really that much more problem solving as I don't really like that. I got an 8 at gcse but is the new spec a lot harder or would you be able to Still achieve the grade you want equally as the old spec.
You have to think of it in terms of grade boundaries, so if the spec is a lot harder, the grade boundaries will be a lot lower like we saw in the 9-1 maths. You just have to beat x% of people to get Grade Y. And I can definitely say that you are nowhere near alone in not being a fan of problem solving.

(Original post by Deyb)
Thank you so much for your reply! I think my exam board is OCR MEI/ OCR B. I got an 8 in GCSE maths, but I am just scared that I will not understand....are the concepts hard to understand? Also, do you have any resources you would recommend for the new spec?
Thanks again!
A good thing about maths is that it builds up gradually. So at the beginning of A Levels, you'll be pretty much doing GCSE Grade 7-9 stuff over again. Stuff like solving simultaneous equations which have one quadratic and one linear, solving quadratic equations etc. and then it just builds up from there. Nothing should be really hard to wrap your head around, as long as you understand all of the stuff that came before it. The problem that a lot of people have with maths is that they fall behind eg. don't understand a main topic, but then just continue on and what that means is that they really struggle to understand stuff past that.

I think the most important thing in maths is to make sure that you understand fully what the teacher is saying and that if you don't, you ask someone. Because if you just continue, your issues are just going to snowball.

In terms of revision resources, for maths the most important stuff is past papers and """fake""" past papers. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of these for the new spec, but there is a lot of stuff for the old spec, and that stuff is still useful, you just need to make sure you understand the new content.

This guy's website: https://madasmaths.com is a favourite among a level maths students and he already had 20 or so ""fake"" past papers for the new spec.
username3274452
Rep:
?
A good thing about maths is that it builds up gradually. So at the beginning of A Levels, you'll be pretty much doing GCSE Grade 7-9 stuff over again. Stuff like solving simultaneous equations which have one quadratic and one linear, solving quadratic equations etc. and then it just builds up from there. Nothing should be really hard to wrap your head around, as long as you understand all of the stuff that came before it. The problem that a lot of people have with maths is that they fall behind eg. don't understand a main topic, but then just continue on and what that means is that they really struggle to understand stuff past that.

I think the most important thing in maths is to make sure that you understand fully what the teacher is saying and that if you don't, you ask someone. Because if you just continue, your issues are just going to snowball.

In terms of revision resources, for maths the most important stuff is past papers and """fake""" past papers. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of these for the new spec, but there is a lot of stuff for the old spec, and that stuff is still useful, you just need to make sure you understand the new content.

This guy's website: https://madasmaths.com is a favourite among a level maths students and he already had 20 or so ""fake"" past papers for the new spec.
Thank you so much! This will definitely help. Keeping on top of the work seems to be a recurring piece of advice so I will be sure to do so!! Thanks for the link, as well ^.^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed