The Student Room Group

Gcse results and entry requirements for medicine

I received a grade 5 for gcse english language and I'm worried that it won't meet the minimum entry requirement for studying medicine at a London university like UCL. I'm not sure if I should retake it or not because I'll be so busy with a level biology,chemistry and maths. I want to give all my time to these subjects as they are difficult subjects. But at the same time I need a B to get into UCL for example and most good universities require this.
Can someone give me some advise on this? Should I retake and if I do, will it effect my study time for my a level subjects?
Original post by Tuba01
I received a grade 5 for gcse english language and I'm worried that it won't meet the minimum entry requirement for studying medicine at a London university like UCL. I'm not sure if I should retake it or not because I'll be so busy with a level biology,chemistry and maths. I want to give all my time to these subjects as they are difficult subjects. But at the same time I need a B to get into UCL for example and most good universities require this.
Can someone give me some advise on this? Should I retake and if I do, will it effect my study time for my a level subjects?

Medical schools don't accept retakes
Reply 2
Original post by 00sevenmagic
Medical schools don't accept retakes

Woah really?! so is there no point of retaking?
The UCL website states you need grade 6 in GCSE English Language and Maths to be eligible for medicine, so no, you don't meet the entry requirements for studying medicine at UCL. Therefore, yes, if you wish to apply there you must retake. The same goes for KCL, St George's and QMUL (Barts). Imperial does not have any GCSE requirements.

Either you retake, or you change where you want to apply, and/or consider the viability of applying to medicine at all.
Reply 4
Original post by Tuba01

I don't think I've seen a medical school with a policy on GCSE retakes. You can get in touch with the ones that you're interested in to ask though.

Some medical schools don't accept A-level retakes, others don't mind if you show an improvement/have extenuating circumstances/only dropped a grade as long as they're in the 2 years. It depends on the university though.
Original post by Tuba01

Some universities do accept resits but that's mainly if you had extenuating circumstances that didn't allow you to do well the first time around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are a few, but not much point

Original post by Tuba01

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending