Laurenmartin48
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For my OCR English coursework I need to compare a novel and a play, making up my own question and focus of analysis.

Any suggestions on novels that can be compared to A Streetcar Named Desire or plays that can be compared to J.G Ballard's High Rise (all have to have been written or first performed post 1900)

Any help will be much appreciated
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Laurenmartin48)
For my OCR English coursework I need to compare a novel and a play, making up my own question and focus of analysis.

Any suggestions on novels that can be compared to A Streetcar Named Desire or plays that can be compared to J.G Ballard's High Rise (all have to have been written or first performed post 1900)

Hi,

I studied Streetcar for my A level (Edexcel) so I may know a few comparisons you might like.

Is there any specific topic/theme you want to compare between the play and a novel? Age? Madness? Feminism/gender?
Laurenmartin48
Rep:
?
(Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
Hi,

I studied Streetcar for my A level (Edexcel) so I may know a few comparisons you might like.

Is there any specific topic/theme you want to compare between the play and a novel? Age? Madness? Feminism/gender?
I was hoping to focus on class conflict and draw on the conflict between Blanche and Stanley and their respective cultures, but I would also happily do it on feminism!!
EstelOfTheEyrie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was hoping to focus on class conflict and draw on the conflict between Blanche and Stanley and their respective cultures, but I would also happily do it on feminism!!
Are there any date restrictions on the novels? I.e do they need to be post-2000?

But here are some ideas anyway:

Feminism/gender:
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Bloody Chamber

Class:
  • Hard Times
  • Oliver Twist
  • Basically most Dickens novels have a lot class struggles
Laurenmartin48
Rep:
?
Are there any date restrictions on the novels? I.e do they need to be post-2000?

But here are some ideas anyway:

Feminism/gender:
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Bloody Chamber

Class:
  • Hard Times
  • Oliver Twist
  • Basically most Dickens novels have a lot class struggles
They have to be post 1900, which is a pain because I was hoping to do the awakening- but it was publishing in 1899!!!
EstelOfTheEyrie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They have to be post 1900, which is a pain because I was hoping to do the awakening- but it was publishing in 1899!!!
Ah okay; most of the books I know for Class are pre-1900, but the novels for gender and feminism are mainly post-1900.

Atonement is a good novel for class that was published in 2001 - there's a lot of revision material around on the internet and a York notes book (Which I used - I also studied this one)
Laurenmartin48
Rep:
?
Ah okay; most of the books I know for Class are pre-1900, but the novels for gender and feminism are mainly post-1900.

Atonement is a good novel for class that was published in 2001 - there's a lot of revision material around on the internet and a York notes book (Which I used - I also studied this one)
Thank you! I'll have a look at it and see which comparisons I could draw from it!
EstelOfTheEyrie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! I'll have a look at it and see which comparisons I could draw from it!
No problem! Glad I could help
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I'm not sure - it's been a long time since I've read that play.

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald is an amazing novel! So is his Beautiful and the Damned. They deal with love and loss and class struggles.

You could also look into John Steinbeck's novels. They deal with a lot of class struggles and the good ol' American Dream.

It would be interesting to do an American lit comparison.

British authors that are great:

D.H Lawrence (The Rainbow)
LP Hartley (The Go-Between I think would work amazingly with Streetcar. It both deals with class struggles; yearning for something different, but ends in tragedy).
EM Forster (Passage to India and Maurice (about homosexuality)
Evelyn Waugh (A Handful of Dust is great)
Laurenmartin48
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
I'm not sure - it's been a long time since I've read that play.

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald is an amazing novel! So is his Beautiful and the Damned. They deal with love and loss and class struggles.

You could also look into John Steinbeck's novels. They deal with a lot of class struggles and the good ol' American Dream.

It would be interesting to do an American lit comparison.

British authors that are great:

D.H Lawrence (The Rainbow)
LP Hartley (The Go-Between I think would work amazingly with Streetcar. It both deals with class struggles; yearning for something different, but ends in tragedy).
EM Forster (Passage to India and Maurice (about homosexuality)
Evelyn Waugh (A Handful of Dust is great)
Thank you so much this is a huge help!!! I think I'll look at The Go Between
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (180)
61.64%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.11%
No- I want it (78)
26.71%
No- I don't want it (22)