Neevgrey00
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently need to choose my A-levels and have aspirations to become a chemical engineer. My A-level options atm are chemistry, maths and biology but I was wondering should I also do further maths if I want to go into engineering? It is not required by the universities I am looking at but will it make me look more employable to them? I am very good at maths but don't know if I have the LOVE for it to do further maths A-level as it's a huge jump.

Can anyone give me some insight into the importance of further maths for chemical engineering and if I should give it a shot even to AS if not A-level? Will my lack of LOOOVE for it make it too hard to cope with? HELP MEHHHHH
xxFreyaWxx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did Further Maths up to AS I loved Maths at GCSE but I found having Maths and Further Maths as 2 of my 4 subjects made me like it a lot less. I found FP1 really difficult despite putting in loads of work. Hope thats some use!
SirDoyleandi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most universities expect students who are considering studying Engineering to take further maths. They usually tag on that it is 'recommended' or 'helpful'. I suggest you take further maths because it is good prep and it is what your degree centres around. To be honest, if you don't have the heart for it now, how do you expect to enjoy it later on?.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Neevgrey00)
I currently need to choose my A-levels and have aspirations to become a chemical engineer. My A-level options atm are chemistry, maths and biology but I was wondering should I also do further maths if I want to go into engineering? It is not required by the universities I am looking at but will it make me look more employable to them? I am very good at maths but don't know if I have the LOVE for it to do further maths A-level as it's a huge jump.

Can anyone give me some insight into the importance of further maths for chemical engineering and if I should give it a shot even to AS if not A-level? Will my lack of LOOOVE for it make it too hard to cope with? HELP MEHHHHH
As it's not a requirement for the course, it is obviously not that important. It will certainly help you with the maths modules in the degree, and is more useful for engineering than biology. Physics is also useful for engineering, too, and is a requirement for many courses. But if you are good at maths you should not have much problems with the physics content, as physics is applied maths.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Physics is more relevant to chemical engineering than chemistry I'm pretty sure.
Oboe_Emily
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Speaking as someone who carried further maths through to A2, who used to love maths at GCSE/AS, it is a huge jump from GCSE and I struggled with it this past year. you could perhaps just do a further maths AS, if you are happy with your other 3 subjects, as at A2 it jumps up another level! It might be helpful for you to do some further maths, however if you think it will take a toll on your other subjects significantly it may be wiser to focus on your main 3. Speak to teachers, and see what they suggest, but if you are prepared to put the work in for an extra AS it may be worth it and I found it helped me with normal maths, so it depends on the work you're prepared to put in 😊
Zxphyrs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
As it's not a requirement for the course, it is obviously not that important. It will certainly help you with the maths modules in the degree, and is more useful for engineering than biology. Physics is also useful for engineering, too, and is a requirement for many courses. But if you are good at maths you should not have much problems with the physics content, as physics is applied maths.
Have you even done A level Physics? The majority of the applied mathematics you've mentioned is covered only in the first paper of new spec. Don't delude yourself, Physics is quite heavy in terms of subject matter/ conceptual understanding.

I also know several people who are good at Maths but struggled greatly with Physics, it shouldn't be assumed that good at Maths = good at Physics when discussing the A levels holistically.

OP, if you're good at Maths you will find the time to fit Further Mathematics in, but as stated, if it's not a requirement, assess whether the added workload is worth it.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zxphyrs)
Have you even done A level Physics? The majority of the applied mathematics you've mentioned is covered only in the first paper of new spec. Don't delude yourself, Physics is quite heavy in terms of subject matter/ conceptual understanding.

I also know several people who are good at Maths but struggled greatly with Physics, it shouldn't be assumed that good at Maths = good at Physics when discussing the A levels holistically.
When you get to university level engineering, much of the physics content is essentially applied maths. That is what I was referring to.
Zxphyrs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
When you get to university level engineering, much of the physics content is essentially applied maths. That is what I was referring to.
(Original post by Smack)
(Original post by Smack)
Ah understood, didn't want OP to misjudge A level Physics as that's what I thought you were referring to
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zxphyrs)
Ah understood, didn't want OP to misjudge A level Physics as that's what I thought you were referring to
Yes, certainly, A-level physics (and equivalent, as I did Scottish highers) aren't very mathematically based.
Joejoejoe123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Won't make a difference. Not worth your time, may as well out more effort in the others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (87)
24.3%
No (271)
75.7%

Watched Threads