Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

degree advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi i was just wonderin whether anybody would be able to tell me what degree would be best if i wanted to become a stockbroker?.....i think it would be economics however im not sure whether a Bsc or a Ba degree would be better or whether it would be better for me to do economics on its own or maybe do economics with econometrics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eek)
    hi i was just wonderin whether anybody would be able to tell me what degree would be best if i wanted to become a stockbroker?.....i think it would be economics however im not sure whether a Bsc or a Ba degree would be better or whether it would be better for me to do economics on its own or maybe do economics with econometrics
    After much research I found that having a BA/BSc won't make any difference in Economics. Having taken it with Econometrics would make little difference but I suppose it's a good thing. Another way to get into stocks would be by taking a maths degree.

ReputationRep:
    thanks! i would do a maths degree but i think that it would be too hard and i dont think that id be able to cope with it all so i think economics with maybe econometrics would be the next best thing!

ReputationRep:
    Economics. BsC and BA are the same just different titles.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes with a Bsc your course would focus more on the stats side maybe rather than philosophy, politics links.

I know for geog if you do more physical geog then you can get a BSc whereas if you do more human geog then you can get a BA. e.g my parents both went to UCL to do geography and im pretty sure my dad got a BSc and my mum a BA...although I'm not sure. Same would be true for Psychology as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie)
    Sometimes with a Bsc your course would focus more on the stats side maybe rather than philosophy, politics links.

I know for geog if you do more physical geog then you can get a BSc whereas if you do more human geog then you can get a BA. e.g my parents both went to UCL to do geography and im pretty sure my dad got a BSc and my mum a BA...although I'm not sure. Same would be true for Psychology as well.
    Generally that's true, but Cambridge is one of the most mathmatical economics courses around and it is a BA.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Generally that's true, but Cambridge is one of the most mathmatical economics courses around and it is a BA.
    Fair point, but doesn't Cambridge *only* give out BA's? I may be wrong but I thought that whatever course you did at Cambridge, if it was a Batchelor (instead of a Masters) then you got a BA - be it in Engish, Economics or Engineering!
    Do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though...
    Jenn xx

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.